Per item PAT test charge?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 for charge by the hour.

You don't know how long it will take. The 20 items might all be lined up up a table ready for you to test and you will wizz through it, or you might have to hunt them down, unplug them, test them, put them back from where they came and it will take twice as long.

Personally I find that I can make more PAT Testing with a price per asset rather than hourly rate. That said I have a downloadable tester so can get a reasonable number of assets done quite quickly. I do set a minimum charge though as otherwise someone wanting 5 or 10 assets tested would never pay.

Pat is one of the most abused electrical test procedures known to man and is never worth the paper it is written on. In my opinion it should be scrapped.

Pat is one of the most abused electrical test procedures known to man and is never worth the paper it is written on. In my opinion it should be scrapped.
The advantage of testing a computer lead that is never touched I agree is negligible, but having the tester there when the clippers get dropped etc has been useful. It has found genuine faults that could have posed a hazard, but then I test things based on risk.