PERC vs MWT technologies

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Smith

Reaction score
I am learning day after day about PV modules (and a lot, thanks to this forum) and would like to share some info.

I have recently discovered the MWT technologies. I thought it was something new but there is a description with a good video from 2013 here
https://solarmuseum.org/cells/mwt_solar_cell/
Yep 2013 warrants a place in the museum :)

a more recent article is here
https://www.pv-tech.org/industry-updates/mwt-a-better-tech-route-for-pv/
I went back to read the datasheets of JA Solar panels I have looked at (about 10 of them) and they are all PERC.
I have tried to find panels using MWT and it is hard to do so and I wonder why if MWT is such a good technology (and apparently reduce manufacturing cost too) why it is difficult to find (not to source, I know there is supply's issue, here I am talking about finding references, datasheets etc.. ) such panels.

Does any of you have any experiences between PERC and MWT. What do you reckon?

Thanks

I am learning day after day about PV modules (and a lot, thanks to this forum) and would like to share some info.

I have recently discovered the MWT technologies. I thought it was something new but there is a description with a good video from 2013 here
https://solarmuseum.org/cells/mwt_solar_cell/
Yep 2013 warrants a place in the museum :)

a more recent article is here
https://www.pv-tech.org/industry-updates/mwt-a-better-tech-route-for-pv/
I went back to read the datasheets of JA Solar panels I have looked at (about 10 of them) and they are all PERC.
I have tried to find panels using MWT and it is hard to do so and I wonder why if MWT is such a good technology (and apparently reduce manufacturing cost too) why it is difficult to find (not to source, I know there is supply's issue, here I am talking about finding references, datasheets etc.. ) such panels.

Does any of you have any experiences between PERC and MWT. What do you reckon?

Thanks
Just look at panel efficiency, that's what matters most. The latest spec is half cell PERC, so I would suggest anything from 2013 is old hat. Trouble t'internet is a lot of the information is out of date.

Well on that point I will disagree. MWT was in dev in 2013 (surely before that too).

I have done more ready and apparently, it is superior to PERC because it eliminates hot spots and also increases the life efficiency of the panels.

The panel efficiency is very important of course but there are also other features to take into account such as the life time and habitlity to cop with shade especially when the panel is partially shaded. As I understand, the area of the panels getting the shade is getting hoter and can deteriorate it.

What do you think half cells do? Also you have to remember a Spanish panel is going to be built for higher temperatures than the UK. The only panel I've ever seen that had burnt out was covered in seagull shite, and I mean covered. Virtually the whole panel had given up the ghost, shattering the glass.

That's a point. I recall my Ahead panels I bought in 2016 were designed in the UK (Aheadsolar does not exist anymore) and I recall having rang them and they told me why they were better for the UK than those made in California etc...

Is that something I can check on the panels datasheets? Is that not a bit the same than for the German cars, they are made in Germany but surely they are reliable worldwide. What I mean is that while they are designed/made in Spain they are sold worldwide so surely the designers must take this into account.

As for the half-cells, I can't answer, I think the more I read the more I get confused....

Bottom line, the choice will also depend on the availability and they are available with efficiency close to 21% for the 375W which has been quoted.
The JA Solar I had originally selected also had about 21% efficiency but they are not available :(.

Surely, the increased warranty of 15 (instead of 12) product warranty and 30 instead of 25 linear power output is a sign of quality, isn't it? This can also be increased to 20 and 35 years with a membership.