Picture in Picture Solution?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riggy

Reaction score
Quoting for my third CCTV install, customer wants picture in picture.

Customer deals in fencing materials, timber, etc. His house backs onto his yard.

Mounting a couple of cameras on the gable end of his house will cover the yard fine, DVR and monitor to go in kitchen (which doubles as an office), all good.

He would like picture in a picture image on his living room TV. We're are all digital around here now, and he has Sky+ on the TV he wants to display the CCTV image as picture in picture.

Any ideas?

I can't help with the question but one obseravtion I would make, from experience.

DVR in kitchen not a good idea, unless very well hidden, whats the first thing anyone breaking in is going to steal ?

have to agree with philbas put the dvr in a more secure location or the kitchen cupboards and screw down the unit, like my dm machine is screwed to the desk, with is bolted to the wall. also go for a dm unit which has the ability to do pip screen Dedicated Micros Eco 4 DVR | eBay UK
Badger do you just know that unit does PiP, or am I missing it in the spec?

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 20:05 ---------- Previous post was made at 20:03 ----------

CCTV - PIP92 Picture In Picture UnitWas sure I had seen them in the CPC catalogue but can't find them on-line (I do hate their website)
Thanks Patch. That unit does PiP with two cctv signals, struggling to convince myself it could do cctv within digital TV (maybe I'm being thick?)

Thanks for the replys so far.

The Eco4 does PiP of two cctv cameras, but I'm still not convinced it will do a cctv picture within a digital TV picture, am I missing something/being over cautious/being an ar5e?

Hi,

does your customer want to view the two cameras in PIP config on say an aux input of the digital tv? or view the two camera in PIP config on the digital tv within a preview window?

either can be done assuming that the tv can accept a composite signal (which most can) it just gets a bit faffy.

Sean

Sean,

he keeps changing his mind, and as I'm only just branching into CCTV (driven by my customers) I'm not in a position to steer him.

I think he wants to be able to have an image from one of the cameras in the corner of the screen whilst he's watching TV. We also discussed using a PIR on his access road to switch channels to show a camera full screen.

Hope this makes sense.

Faffy is fine, I learned much of what little I know through faffing!

ok,

without useing the PIP on the tv, whilst still watching, you are going to need a separate tv composite source, digi box dvd etc basically anything with a tuner, run the composite output (more on that in a minute) from the tuner to input 1 of a PIP92 run the cctv camera signal to input2 of the PIP92, set the tv to the Aux or CVBS channel and away you go. the PIP92 will accept two alarm triggers to switch between the sources if your man wants an alarm trigger pir, always a good idea to pop the main source on input1 (in this case the tv tuner) so in case of power failure the little system defaults to the non alarm state.

CCTV signals are 1V peak to peak composite video, basically each line of the picture is sent with the colour (chroma) and brightness (luma) complete, you would be surprised at the many ways of applying or obtaining this type of signal from just about any piece of kit that produces or displays any type of signal. scart connectors have a composite signal on the pins but easier to buy switchable adapters, svhs connections can be converted to composite.

i used to think that the best solution was always a dedicated monitor/s for cctv in the home, and i have one, but after i ran another couple of cables for extra monitors in other rooms, and even mounted a display in my home office but never really use it. The DVR at my home has a webserver built in so I just open an IE window for the cameras and leave it in the corner of my desktop.

default_good%20luck.gif

Latest posts