PIR

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NozSpark

Seaman stains™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be doing some PIR's over the next few days..

It's 8 CU's supplying individual bedsits (I suppose) within the same building

Now I'm not doing tht fire alarms or emergency lighting as someone else has done them, they also do not want any of the communual areas or sub mains testing...

So is it 9 seperate PIR's or a single one with the main 3 phase DB and sub mains listed (but not tested) also obviously listing limitations/tested parts of the installation in full????

All the same customer BTW!

id go with where are the meters - if each flat has its own DNO meter, then each has its own PIR

if there are no meters, or private meters, then an overall PIR, with each flat treated as a submain

I'd ignore the landlords meters, look up the definition of a system in the brb, I would but it's upstairs & I'm too lazy tonight!

IIRC you will find something along the lines of a single origin of supply, i.e. DNO head and then the consumers installation.

So, I'd go for one installation with sub mains etc for each area.

Make good use of the limitations box to cover your a*s* with regard to areas covered.

Sampling may help too.

I agree ^

one origin of supply, several submains. One PIR

Every CU has to be considered as an individual installation so 1 PIR each...

Best way is one PIR for one supply. Then if more than 1 board, you use extra board sched, db test results sheets and obs and recs for each board.

one origin of supply, several submains. One PIR

I agree with the above statement, however in the case that Noz is describing then really its only the Repetition of Page 1 of the Report and the simple Tick box section of the Items tested Sheets that is being avoided by opting for one overall 5 page full P.I.R {with lots of additional schedules of circuit details and schedules of test results}...as opposed to the alternative of Five Domestic type 4 Page Reports.

B.S 7671 Reports do not give any reference on completing individual Observation and Recommendations pages for the seperate D.Bs as they do for the Schedules of circuit details and Schedules of Test results . It can be assumed therefore that it is intended for only one such section be completed for the whole of the installation contained in the Report.

This being the case then a single Code 1 or code 2 observation anywhere in the building would result in an unsatisfactory declaration regardless of the condition of the rest of it.......this would not be the case if seperate P.I.Rs had been used.

A point to illustrate this is a landlord with a property he wishes to rent out as and when tenants for the bedsits are found. If he was given seperate PIRs he could deal with the Electrical issues on a Bedsit by Besit basis...If he had one overall PIR ,and one prospective tenant ,then he would need to rectify the whole of the Electrics in the property regardles of whether they were occupied or not...........could be the difference in you securing the Remedial work or not !

you'll be happy to hear that there wasn't a single code 1 or 2 then... IIRC I don't think there was a code 3 or 4 either!

Was rewired about 5 or 6 years ago, all lighting was in MT for the switch drops!!!

I'd agree with a1. Another advantage of one PIR for each flat is that each tenant can receive a copy for his flat without getting all the other (irrelevant, to him) flats as well. Had this been an older building, there might have been varying obs and recs for each flat.