Polish 17Th Edition

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

binky

retired and loving it!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is taken from another forum...

further to recent discussions thought you all might like to know that my ex apprentice(dismissed because he would not go to English college to further his education) has just informed me that he is now a 'fully qualified with 17th edition' electrician and if I would like him to start work he is available from £150 a day. The course completed completely in Polish is on offer in Acton(North West London) for those of you who do not know the area. Also he has applied for NICEIC domestic approval (apparently the lecturer recommends applying first for the NICEIC, then if failed applying to NAPIT who -he is assured- will accept and once accepted by NApit he will be able to do commercial/industrial and domestic and EICRs on all these establishments. Considering this lad could not tell me what a mcb stood for, does not know what voltage drop calculations are and has never worked in any environment other than a domestic, I believe that all the fears expressed recently have come to fruition. I would say , that if i find he has been accepted by the NICEIC I will resign from that body and send my reasons via the newspapers. God help us all.

I can feel the blood pressure rising already X( X( X( X( X( X( X( X(

This is where I believe immigration law should demand a good working ability in spoken English before you are allowed in.

I would not dream of going to a foreign country to work if I was not reasonably fluent in their language. Why do they think it's okay to work here when they can't speak English?

Unless they just do work for all the other Poles and never integrate into the community. :angry:

Dave first the government have too know they are here!

Binky I would personally follow up his college link in Acton to verify what he says is accurate, I would then write to Niceic for written confirmation of their requirements of foreign entrants. Secondly I would then write to the MP for Acton, your own MP if different and then to the head of DCLG as they are responsible for electrical safety. You might also want to copy the letter to the ESC. If you fail to get any joy from these then take it to the TV news.

I heard similar stories close to my geographical area.

Trainers are being given learners to do the 17th and

their grasp of English is abysmal.  The failures then

appear on the statistics for the trainer and they are

expected to put an action plan into place to show how

they intend to solve the problem.

I CANNOT see how anyone can do this within the time

frame allowed for the course.

Erm......

I`m going to be really stupid here.

How do they get on with manufacturers instructions that aren`t written in "their" language?

How do they write out quotations and / or invoices.

BUT - most puzzling of all:

Are they allowed to provide test certificates in Polish? If not - how do they fill em in, if their command of the language is so poor?? 

Instructions?  don't need them or don't read them

Invoices,? don't need them "that'll be £100 mate" (spoken in Polish)

Certificates? What customer knows what they are or asks for them?

Part P, do you mean Part Polish? Building regulations? what are they.

I think that covers all questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Certs would IMHO have to be in English else they would not comply with BS7671.
mmmm,

dont think there is anything in 7671 that says that,

it would be discrimatory would it not?!  :C

our rules are made to be broken by all and sundry are they not,?

its only every other country in the world that can blatantly write their own version of human rights as they go along.

On the last big rewire I done in NW London my pal and I were the only English on site.  All other trades were polish and bulgarian.  The MD of the company who was very rarely on site was Irish and he was employing all these muppets who couldnt speak English at all and their lunch everyday was a tin of spam ffs.  Their work quality was unbelievably poo.  Walls were knocked down before the scaffold board was acro'd to support beams and cracks were appearing wall to ceiling upstairs.  The kettle was a piece of flex with line and neutral beared back and spread out.  One guy there was telling us he was a fully qualified electrician back home and they do all their own electrical work over here and 'the tester' comes and issues certificate.  Another one of his polish friends

So the above doesnt surprise me at all :)

On the last big rewire I done in NW London my pal and I were the only English on site.  All other trades were polish and bulgarian.  The MD of the company who was very rarely on site was Irish and he was employing all these muppets who couldnt speak English at all and their lunch everyday was a tin of spam ffs.  Their work quality was unbelievably poo.  Walls were knocked down before the scaffold board was acro'd to support beams and cracks were appearing wall to ceiling upstairs.  The kettle was a piece of flex with line and neutral beared back and spread out.  One guy there was telling us he was a fully qualified electrician back home and they do all their own electrical work over here and 'the tester' comes and issues certificate.  Another one of his polish friends

So the above doesnt surprise me at all :)
Wonder if its the same guy i met a few weeks back he was a electrician back home apparently...same guy who wired a immersion heater minus the thermostat...

Latest posts