Prostate cancer, Please read and post.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know that PSA isn’t perfect, but it’s a start, and if you check the guidelines from Prostate Cancer UK, this has changed from the old recommendations, to become a worthwhile test, due to improvements in the procedure.
PSA would have worked on me. 🤷
You just need to be aware that if it's showing all clear you may not be and if it's showing potential cancer again you may be clear. Doctors I have spoken to about it say it's useful to get men involved with a test but only as a stepping stone to further testing.

A lot of work has been and is being done on the false negatives from the test with good results apparently, I am in touch with a patient adviser for PCUK, and he gets us some great information on the latest developments and does amazing work on the awareness.
Thats good to hear, hopefully we can reach a 100% reliable test.

It is good to see the discussion about health, and thanks to @Walter_B for starting this.
I'll second that for sure

I think it is easier for men to discuss such things as Ca and other health issues on Social Media because of the anonymity of it all.
Easier on a keyboard too than speaking it out loud.

But, you know what, I don't care. What is important is that it is happening.
It is being discussed.
Agreed

Can I please ask that those who are not involved in the discussion, please become involved?
Not here necessarily, but, out there, in the real world, you might just save a life, and that life could be yours, or that one of a friend, or a family member, a loved one.
The conversation doesn't have to be about PCa.
Any issues around men's health help.
It doesn't have to be in the real world, other social media may be a good place to start, especially if you have a story to tell.
My model flying club had a member who was a GP who retired through ill health which in his case was prostate cancer. I persuaded him to do a talk at one of our club nights and the talk should be on Prostate cancer / embarrassment at going to the doctors etc. He did an amazing talk and went into great detail of what we should expect and the medical professions attitude towards our inhibitions etc. Three members actually went to see their GP following the talk and one of them did actually have prostate cancer identified. He went through the treatment, in total it was for about a year or so if I remember correctly, at some stages he was quite poorly but in the end he was sorted and in remission. He also volunteered to do a club talk to encourage others to take the same steps.

Young uns think that they are invincible.
Us old fogeys know that they are not, one day those young uns are going to be us old fogeys, if they last that long, and those young uns are going to be suffering from the same issues we are today, because nobody has done anything about awareness.

Those young uns are going to be our sons and grandsons. What greater reason do we need to raise awareness of men's health in any and all ways than to save our sons and heirs from ill health, suffering and premature death?
The thought that my son is more susceptible to PCa, is breaking me.
I know that it's the Russian Roulette that is in part genetics. But try rationalising that when you have a needle in your hand pumping a drug into your bloodstream that is killing bits of you to try and save other bits.
You are so right on all of this.

Mental health issues in construction are massive, and not discussed.
Not something I was aware of.

There are others, but I am getting a little bit tired again now, so time to try and sleep, again.

Insomnia, is a side effect of my medication, unfortunately.
Take it easy fella, sweet dreams

I think my post may be a bit disjointed
No more than usual :)

but I hope that the message comes through as intended. Sorry if it's a bit disorganised.
Yes it does and I for one really appreciate your insight and viewpoint

Typing through the tears is hard.
Take it easy, thank you for all of your words.

With PC a lot of men struggle with the taking of the biopsy and then the side affects of what happens afterwards
People should talk about it more it does help

With PC a lot of men struggle with the taking of the biopsy and then the side affects of what happens afterwards
People should talk about it more it does help
I didn't find the biopsy too bad.
Mind, it is quite like having an electric shock up inside you.
Mine was transrectal, not transperineal.

Sorry to @Walter_B for taking over his introduction post, but you have raised such a massively important point with male health that it has struck a chord with many here.
Thank you for that.
Hopefully, with its presence in the welcome as rea it will encourage other new recruits to read the content and learn the lessons.
Thanks again.

As a follow-up to points raised, a recent article about the diagnosis of prostate cancer from the charity.
https://prostatecanceruk.org/about-...aren-t-good-at-catching-prostate-cancer-early

Well I’d like to thank all contributors for the awareness.
I have not got cancer, I believe, and wouldn’t know what to ask for to check, have never been checked.
Just out of curiosity is this blood test something that is tested for without your knowledge or is it tested for upon symptoms?

I have known some people who have had cancer and some that have died from it and as you say it is not something that the many speak about other than to say it’s painful and a killer.

Knowledge is power, so let it be spoken openly about.

Thank you all again.

Well I’d like to thank all contributors for the awareness.
I have not got cancer, I believe, and wouldn’t know what to ask for to check, have never been checked.
Just out of curiosity is this blood test something that is tested for without your knowledge or is it tested for upon symptoms?

I have known some people who have had cancer and some that have died from it and as you say it is not something that the many speak about other than to say it’s painful and a killer.

Knowledge is power, so let it be spoken openly about.

Thank you all again.
I started early with the tests due to family history. I also knew an electrician who developed prostrate cancer in his forties and subsequently died because he ignored the symptoms until it was too late.

I'm now 57, and my GP isn't interested that in testing me for prostate cancer because I'm considered too young. However, at my age I have been getting checks for other things, most of which seem to involve blood tests, and I request they take an extra sample for PSA, which is never refused. There's nothing stopping you contacting your GP to get a test done at any time. And if you are in with the nurse taking blood samples ( vampire squad as I like to call them) it's worth getting cholesterol, liver function etc tested for whilst you are at it.

The DRE comes AFTER the PSA blood test
My younger brother was diagnosed and subsequently had his prostate removed coming up for a year ago. I contacted my local GP and suggested getting checked out....... no blood test and she was quite happy to perform the DRE. Maybe being beyond retirement age helped. A DRE has to be less expensive than blood tests(?)....if you are concerned enough they should help one way or another.

Unfortunately, we have a fight with General Practice and the entrenched views thereof.
I have posted a link above to a very recent article by PCa UK on diagnosis and neither the blood test nor DRE is recommended alone.
Any man over 50 is entitled to testing for PCa, including a PSA test, but GP is often against this, which is the official NHS guidance.

Unfortunately, we have a fight with General Practice and the entrenched views thereof.
I have posted a link above to a very recent article by PCa UK on diagnosis and neither the blood test nor DRE is recommended alone.
Any man over 50 is entitled to testing for PCa, including a PSA test, but GP is often against this, which is the official NHS guidance.
Yep, and if you try to complain you will deliberately be given the run around..

1, complaint to the doctors and you will be struck off their list.
2, they will hint that you should complain to the NHS. After much messing, you will find that the doctors is nothing to do with the NHS.
3, you will merely go around in circles..

john..

Sorry to @Walter_B for taking over his introduction post, but you have raised such a massively important point with male health that it has struck a chord with many here.
Thank you for that.
Hopefully, with its presence in the welcome as rea it will encourage other new recruits to read the content and learn the lessons.
Thanks again.

As a follow-up to points raised, a recent article about the diagnosis of prostate cancer from the charity.
https://prostatecanceruk.org/about-...aren-t-good-at-catching-prostate-cancer-early
I am so happy that so many have taken on the chat Sidewinder, and I don't for one minute feel that my spiel has been taken over.
The Men's Shed I spoke of is great as it didn't take very long for the guys to start talking - Professor Barry Golding was absolutely spot on with his "Men don't talk face to face, they talk shoulder to shoulder". Guys are talking to each other very openly about all sorts without embarrassment and I know that some of the guys have gone on to see their doctors.
I can but hope guys on electrician forum find benefit from the chats and look into their health a little deeper. A lot of great info has been given here on many different types of cancer and if just one of the guys finds through this that he is 'not well' and gets treatment then it's a massive win. As we know, getting early treatment can save a life.
I'm a Scots farmers son and as such never need a doctor. Diagnosis took a while; after I'd overbalanced, fallen and couldn't get up with family help - ambulance called - I then sat and slept on a chair for 5 weeks in pain. I couldn't move one morning so my wife called the doctor - it took two two doctors a week apart to try to figure it out. First one just gave me a shot so that I could move, and the second doctor said "I don't know what it is but I'll send you to Aberdeen Royal Infirmary". "Nah, it's just a pulled muscle, no need for that." I said. SWMBO overruled - "You're going!".
An X-ray looked OK but we'll give you a scan tomorrow I was told. A poor wee 14 year old (looked like that anyway) female doctor had the unenviable task of telling me I had cancer.
Long story, but mentioned so that others realise that they DO need doctors and not to put off seeing one.
Posted this and then saw I'd missed a very important point - just because a person has one type of cancer it doesn't preclude a second cancer manifesting itself.

Split from "introduce yourself" it is too important to be left on its own.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back in 2015 I was having a few problems with the waterworks and my GP referred me for urology checks at the time with the choose and book I had the option of an appointment in 5 days at the local NHS hospital or one in 19 days at a local private hospital, I opted for the private hospital the initial appointment was in late October and resulted in 3 appointments for tests and checks over the next month and a bit the last appointment in early December was a camera up the middle wicket after which the consultant discussed the options as I had an enlarged prostate the options were it could be treated with tablets but the best option was an operation called a TURP which could be done in mid January. The operation went well but the follow up 3 weeks later knocked me back a bit as I was told they couldn't do the final treatment sign off as a blood test had shown my PSA level was very high and I would need a further blood test in 2 - 3 weeks, in that couple of weeks I was quite anxious as to what the outcome might be in the end I got the all clear but the possibilty of having cancer was quite worrying

It can be difficult for some to talk about health issues and conditions and some see some of the examinations as embarassing, personally I've had a couple of mental wobbles it was difficult to talk about it at the time around 18 - 20 years ago but over the years it has become a lot easier to talk about although not to any of the medical "professionals" who don't really understand and often misread or contradict what you are telling them the classic being did you write a note because if you didn't write a note the you weren't going to commit suicide. I suppose part of the problem is the thought of how people will react or view you in the future although when you getting near that edge you have a lot of very mangled thoughts

As men I think most of us have had pains and niggles that we never get checked as it is not what men do, it is not until the pain becomes unbearable and it is found to be a problem that needs major treatment or has been left to long to be treatable that we realise the error of our ways although when you seek treatment it can be a lottery as to whether the GP will refer you for further checks or just fob you off. Recently I finally got referred to a cardiologist after 5 or 6 attempts by the GP to lower my blood pressure with tablets all of which had the opposite effect, the plumbing to my heart is not normal / unusual and from what I have read can result in high blood pressure as you get older but the GP just fobs this off

Men do needto wake up to taking better care of themselves and be more aware of the possible problems they are storing up if they don't get checked for an early diagnosis

I think I've rambled enough for now

@UNG I am glad you are recovering.
A TURP, whilst very unpleasant at least is a procedure for benign prostate hyperplasia which means that you are free from cancer.
I’m so glad for you.

Please all, you have had the story of our situation, those who are in the clear, can I please ask if you could be advocates for prostate cancer, and other men's health issues.
Mental health problems in men who are working in construction are massive too.
In fact mental health problems in men are a major killer.

We are just bad at looking after ourselves.

Stiff upper lip and all that.
Soldier on old bean.
Don't get upset, real men don't get upset, real men don't cry.
Crap.
These sayings drummed into us for generations are as lethal as the injuries sustained by poor physical work practice.

Please guys open up to your family and look after your mental and physical health.
Don't die prematurely because you didn't go to the doctor like I am going to.

The realisation of having a terminal illness is not something that you want to have to come to terms with, believe me.
I struggle with the situation daily and it's not easy or pleasant to have to deal with.

@UNG I am glad you are recovering.
A TURP, whilst very unpleasant at least is a procedure for benign prostate hyperplasia which means that you are free from cancer.
I’m so glad for you.
Thank you for the kind words
For a number of years I have also been having regular colonoscopies as on a couple procedures they found and removed polyps. One colonoscopy found 17 polyps just over 1½ hours cleared 16 of them and a follow up colonoscopy lasting 2 hours was needed to remove the last very large one, the follow up was quite stressful as it carried a higher risk of a problem occurring and emergency surgery being needed. Every 2 or 3 years I now have follow ups as it is perceived I'm at risk of colon cancer. One thing I have found is that female endoscopists doing the colonoscopies do not cause anywhere near the pain most of the male endoscopists do
Please guys open up to your family and look after your mental and physical health.
Don't die prematurely because you didn't go to the doctor like I am going to.
I think part of the treatment "problem" for some is a mental issue of not being comfortable in their own skin and the likelyhood of having their most private bits exposed to medical practitioners of either sex to poke and probe and the thought of that vital bit getting excited might give the impression they are getting some enjoyment and / or embarassment from the examination especially when you don't know the orientation of the medical practitioner carrying out the checks.
You only have to observe how many men will use the cubicles in public toilets for a pee (usually all over the seat) than use the urinals made for the purpose and then often leave without washing their hands do they have a hang up that causes them embrassment and they haven't yet realised that we are there to pee and not ogle.
Don't if it is still done these days but how many men / boys may have been traumatised by the school medical in secondary school when the nurse grabbed your tackle and asked you to cough for some it may have had a lasting effect when it comes to future medical treatment
I would say the only time I have felt embarassed and I look back now and think was I that actually bothered was when I had an angiogram back in 2008 the prep before attending is to shave at the top of the leg and slightly into the pubic hair so they can access the femeral artery so at the hospital it is paper pants and a gown on and lie on the trolley so as they are getting ready to start one of the nurses rips the side of the paper pants to expose the area where they access the artery and annouces that I'm not shaved enough so out comes a Bic razor and the nurse rectifies the problem so they can start, it was done so quick and efficiently before I could say "really" I do wonder what my facial expression was like

The realisation of having a terminal illness is not something that you want to have to come to terms with, believe me.
I struggle with the situation daily and it's not easy or pleasant to have to deal with.
With the procedures I have had in the last 15 or so years while I try to keep positive thoughts there is always that little what if niggle in the background upto now I have been fortunate / lucky in the lottery of life but if some of the results had come back with a less than positive outcome I have no idea how I would react or carry on and admire your tenacity and positivity in the face of adversity

One of your earlier comments regarding friends hit me a little bit, a good friend and a very clever guy who I didn't see that often called me one day back in late 2006 we had quite a long varied conversation about different things, a few years on and I happened to get a job not too far from where his business was based and having lost my mobile phone I had lost his number so did a google search as he had an unusual surname he would be easy to find unfortunately the second hit was his newspaper obituary from 2007 age 60 he had died from cancer, I still wonder now if he knew he had cancer when he phoned me and said nothing, it certainly made me make more of a effort to stay in regular contact with my other friends

More and more a lot of forums where the membership is mostly male are talking about prostate cancer these days although the number taking part in the thread discussion is only a small fraction of the membership I would like to think the majority are reading it and taking positive action

One I still find quite funny was my mum who was in her late 70's when I told her I was going in for a prostate op, straight away she said there is no medical history of that problem in the family I pointed out as she was one of five sisters and her two brothers never lived beyond 50 it was highly unlikely there would be her response was why..... how do you discuss male and female anatomy with your mother

Last edited:
Following Sidewinder's recent death and funeral I was rereading this thread. Lots of good points were made about physical and mental health issues especially for men and not just about Prostate cancer.

I have had a small heart attack (1 stent!!) and I occasionally suffer from anxiety and depression to the extent that I have to take antidepressants.

In my case I have been diagnosed with "Depressive Episodes" and it is normally triggered by a physical issue e.g. heart attack or earlier problems with my eyes, I am not permanently depressed but when triggered I get very low. But I can confirm that talking about these things helps, after my heart attack I felt very sorry for myself but I joined a cardiac rehab group which combines relevant exercise with social interaction with similar people, and I soon realised I didn't have much to complain about and that the most cheerful and fun people in the group had much worse problems than me. That thing we do when we are feeling sorry for ourselves where we sit around and think they can laugh and have fun because they don't have the same problems as me, goes out if the window when you are surrounded by people who have far greater problems. In my case this has helped me realise that things are not as bad as I imagine when I am depressed and knowing that has helped me avoid getting depressed for 2 years.

So lets talk about these things, although not necessarily here but with our friends and family and members of our running group and men's sheds etc. It was mentioned earlier in this thread that some people avoid you when you are ill, I had a bit of that after my heart attack but I made it clear that I was more than happy to talk about it and my prospects and also what I would like to happen should I have another and die, I hope this enabled some people to realise that even when ill we are still the same people. Sidewinder did this brilliantly even when facing his own illness and death.

Realising and accepting the knowledge that we will certainly die, can be life affirming...

Last edited:

Latest posts