Pull Mainfuse

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m4tty

Scaredy cat™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I dont want to start any arguements about whether or not we should pull main fuses but whats the best way to pull it.

Obviously turn off load

Do you use pliers, gloves and whats the best/safest way to do it?

Not asking if but how?

Thanks in advance for any help

bad day explode

make sure there is no load, and remove fuse holder with insulated gloves. if it looks dodgy and may fall apart if you remove it, leave it and call DNO

Pick the phone up and ring the direct line or mobile of the local DNO engineer or jointer for me! O)O) O) :D :D:D

As previous post, we are not allowed to pull them ,so, on the plastic cut-outs, do not cut the seals , do not pull the fuse carrier out, do not remove the cartridge from the carrier and on no account replace the empty carrier to shield the exposed live terminal.

The old , cast , metal ones , can be a bit dodgey and should also be best left alone .

If replacing a C/U and fitting new meter tails what you must not do is leave the fuse in place, do not cut the seals on the meter and remove the old tails. Then do not , on any account , carefully do not strip the ends of new tails, and never carefully replace them live because that would mean using a properly insulated driver, before refitting the cover which you never removed in the first place.

None of the above can be recommended as good practice.

If you are lucky you could have a new Ampey type meter, just quarter turn the nylon screw on the lower right of the face plate & heypresto isolated tails.

If not your gonna be wanting the service fuse fairy's to visit the night before & remove the seal.

Check the cutout looks good & safe to pull, on with the gloves pull fuse close cabinet door keeping fuse with you (i put a bit of gaffer tape over the fuse carrier), do what you need to do.....fuse back in (no load) & reseal with the seal kit from Ebay.

I used to call dno to say I'd pulled fuse and re-seal was required....but they are less than switched on so I dont bother now.

Could do with a local jointer or meter lads number though, make life a tad easier i suppose.

Im going to give the aproved code of practice and method that we use in central networks area as engineers.

BUT this is what we do as we are the only people authorised to pull cutout fuse.

LIVE:

1. risk assesment on work area and condition of cut out.

2. shelid all conducting metalwork in work area with approved insulated material.

3. PPE- class 0 (up to 400V) insulated gauntlets + over gloves, nomex coveralls/workwear, approved blast googles/face shelid.

4. isolate load

5. grip fuse firmly at arms length and pull out in one motion.

5a. if fuse will not pull in one motion go back to step one.

6. insert blanking block and apply 'danger live apparatus' signage.

thats the basic COP for plastic cut outs.

the risk asessment will cover things like where it is, ease of accses, exit route incase of flash over, and the condition of the cut out.

if the person carrying out work deems a risk to high we will go for full iso

this is dig to incomeing cable and cut

we will always do this on cast iorn/pitch filled/3 phase (over 100A)

the biggest danger is flash over (arc) you can have a perfct cut out but if theres a pre existing fault, the sheer fact you are pulling it can cause a flash.

okay when it comes to it i know its a long winded process getting iso done by DNO but most of the time its not going about it the correct way that causes problems, once you do it the right way its simple and most DNO's do fit a free iso (via the supplier)

any qestions just ask

Excellent post Sparkss.

That's just the way it should be. But perhaps you can answer this scenario:

I find a BIG problem when the customer's electricity supplier is NOT their local DNO. In that case, if I phone the DNO (Scottish & southern in my case) for any request, as soon as they look up the address and see they are not the supplier, they say they can't do anything. They say I must phone the supplier who will then pass on their request. So I phone the supplier who usually turn out to be useless. N Power are the worst, they won't do ANYTHING by phone, even when I have tried to report a dangerous situation that needs immediate attention (where SSE would attend that same day if I called them) all they say is "put your request in writing and we will deal with it"

I think this situation is deplorable. It's certainly not in the interests of safety and no doubt leads to more sparky's doing things like pulling the main fuse and cutting the meter seals to fit new tails, and not being able to get someone to attend for an emergency the same day is downright dangerous.

Personally I think the DNO should attend to the request in the same was as if they were the supplier, after all it is they who will eventually attend when requested to do so by the supplier.

I'd be interested in your comments.

good to hear that mate thanks for being honest. I prob will too.

Do you do that to avoid cutting seal / pulling fuse etc?

Cheers

good to hear that mate thanks for being honest. I prob will too. Do you do that to avoid cutting seal / pulling fuse etc?

Cheers
mostly to avoid removing/cutting seals.

in many cases, its fairly straight forward & simple to do with low risk (just make sure to wear insulated gloves, have isolator screwed to wall ready to go)

DNOs should fit isolators after their equipment and there would be less ambiguity and no need to pull fuses. It would be a clearly defined demarcation point but I guess that would mean spending money........

DNOs should fit isolators after their equipment and there would be less ambiguity and no need to pull fuses. It would be a clearly defined demarcation point but I guess that would mean spending money........
but anyone else think electric is behind gas & water?

you see gas & water constantly replacing old pipes, if the handle is missing from gas valve of any other problem its repaired as emergency, but for electric, there is always passing around of calls to try & get isolator fitted etc because no-one wants to know

In fairness, all new single rate meters I have seen fitted by SSE over the last 6 years do have an in built isolator, and only the input tails are sealed.

Sadly when they fit dual rate meters, they don't have in built isolators.

I worked for DNO some years ago and the they put a 'bubble over all their equipment leaving just the isolator accessible. not seen that anywhere else. Anyone else seen the bubbles? was I dreaming?