PV Panels

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sellers

Reaction score
So what do you know?

Trying to keep ahead of the game I want to be able to offer and advertise this.

So any ideas how you go about it? What courses if any? What scams do I need to join? Anything

Good question. I'm also keen on learning more about this.

Look forward to some good info!

I was thinking about it also but heard the other day that some electricity providers may start doing them then instead of charging the customer for the install they wont get any monies from suppling the grid until the install was paid for....

or something allong those lines

my mate just did a course at bedford college, said it was practical and class room based.

sat a written exam at the end which he said was quiet hard , has to wait for the result.

one of the lectures from our college was there for the exam for a retake as he had failed the first time round ! , i have had this teacher before and he is a good teacher so i was surprised at that.

my mate reckons he has passed though , said the practical was easy . just the usual h&s and installing of panels on a roof and running cable and ancillary equipment.

this is the course he did

http://www.hotcourses.com/uk-courses/Installing-and-Testing-Domestic-Photovoltaic-Systems-Certificate-courses/page_pls_user_course_details/16180339/0/w/30143396/page.htm

Hello folks,

I have just done this,

the theory is a bit bewildering, but the exam is dead(thats DEAD) EASY

its open book, so if you can read you will pass, (I got 100% first time its so easy)

any one can actually install solar PV, but in order to receive the buy back rate(Feed In Tariff [FIT] ) and the generation money the installer must be MCS certified, and he must use MCS accredited kit.

I have somewhere else listed some essential reading, and if I get time this weekend I am going to do a short tutorial on it hopefully.

Hi Guys,

Just picking up on the Solar courses you are looking for. If you are looking to offer the Feed In Tariffs when you install a Solar PV system then you need to become MCS Accredited and to become MCS Accredited one of the elements the MCS inspector is going to look for is that you have attended a training course that falls under the certification mentioned within the MCS scheme, so before you book on a training course you need to make sure that it is certified so that it will count towards your MCS Accreditation.

If we can be of any more help feel free to get in touch.

Regards

Easy MCS

I've been doing a bit of reasearch on this lately. This will take off big time as long as the government doesn't remove or significantly reduce the feed in tariff. I've had three seperate sales people knock my door this week trying to sell this stuff - surely someone needs to fit, commission and maintain it.

City and guilds offer 2372 "Certificate on Installing and testing domestic photovoltaic systems". This is a 5+ day course though will cease to run from the end of December (this year). It's been replaced by ..

C&G 2399 "Award in Environmental Technologies". This course offers numerous environmental technologies - wind, heat pump, solar PV etc. Level 2 is what the sales monkeys who try and sell you the stuff need. Level 3 can take upto 10 days and is designed for qualified sparks to design, install commission and maintain solar PV systems.

However, no colleges or training organisations are yet offering the course. It was due to start at the begining of this month, though I guess there must be delays.

As an Elecsa member, I can do a ECA run course (3 days I think) for about 750. Obviously, C&G courses run through local colleges should be much cheaper, and should be more 'transferable' should we choose to get proper jobs. Jobcentre website yesterday looking for solar PV electrician paying 200 per day!

Hope this helps.

Paul

Any chance of someone telling this MCS bloke to stop trawling the forum adding a post on the end of every thread relating to PV just basically containing nothing but spam? Clearly the guy is a bit of a numpty.

Any chance of someone telling this MCS bloke to stop trawling the forum adding a post on the end of every thread relating to PV just basically containing nothing but spam? Clearly the guy is a bit of a numpty.
He is a sponsor.

Nope - A question was asked on an area that our sponsor has expertise in. As with the other threads.

That is how it works.

The same as when you give helpful replies. You advertise on every post for free.

;)

Nope - A question was asked on an area that our sponsor has expertise in. As with the other threads.That is how it works.

The same as when you give helpful replies. You advertise on every post for free.
Difference being though, I don;t trawl back through the archives sticking my name and phone number on every thread vaguely related to something electrical. Maybe I noticed it more as I was catching up on a whole week of posts in one night as I'd been away, but still, bit much really. If everyone did that and didn;t really actually offer any useful advice on the forum other than spamming then what would be the point in any of it?

Our sponsor wasn't with us then - He has only just joined us, so the natural thing to do is to have a look through old posts.

I have no problem with old posts being bumped.

How is it spammed?

The chap pays a fee for sponsorship to help keep this forum free for you all.

Hi Guys,

Apologies If we have upset, just making sure that if anyone has any questions relating to the MCS Scheme that they can post and we can respond just making sure people know where we are.

Regards

Easy MCS

Hi Guys,Apologies If we have upset, just making sure that if anyone has any questions relating to the MCS Scheme that they can post and we can respond just making sure people know where we are.

Regards

Easy MCS
It doesn't take a lot to upset Lurch the way I see it you only have to read what you want if you don't want to read it don't read it.