PVC Trunking & Safe Zones

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OnOff

Mad Inventor™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Felt this deserved a post on it's own! A dinner gong that I've previously posted a pic of, suspiciously "in line" with the light switch:

Sam_1402.jpg

Although IR tests checked out OK it's been bugging me - as in what had it hit. So time to sort it out, chipped abit of plaster off around the screw hole and found THIS:

SAM_2727.jpg

Cut back the oval trunking to find a near miss:

SAM_2730.jpg

The solution:

SAM_2733.jpg

To be honest its probably LUCKY that the 3 core and earth was in trunking - I guess when the drill hit it, it pushed it one side.

people just dont think about stuff like 'there may be a cable directly above this switch or socket' (and its not trunking either - thats conduit. trunking has a lid)

even cables in surface trunking are not safe

DSCF2800.jpg

The other end of the 2-way switch circuit under the gong. Is there a good case with for filling the top of any trunking with intumescent mastic around the T&E where the oval pokes up into the loft space? Years of dirt and dust had found their way down the trunking from the loft. Not to mention the box loose in the hole with NO fixings - box cut into a hollow block with half the back of the cut-out a void. Then no switch line marked, no sleeving on the strappers. No sleeving on one of the CPCs, bare copper showing at the terminals etc etc:

SAM_2726.jpg