Qualifications Query

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JEFSKI

Reaction score
hi folks, Need some advice on qualifications.

back in the early 90's (1992) i completed my Parts I & II G&G 236. Did the AM2 but failed on the Testing & Inspection. Never did a re-take as firm just kept me as cheap labour until i got fed up and left. Anyway, moved to a different city, fell out of industry, (have still always done minor installations/work on the side though - so not toally inexperienced) end of that story.

15 years later, have just done my 17th Edition, with Part P to do next. What I'd like to know is, can i call myself a "competent person" I know i can for sure once the part P is out of the way, but for the time being what am i qualified to do? if anything

You'd think the JIB would be able to provide some advice. I must have emailed them about 6 or 7 times in the last year. Never a helpful reply!!

any comments would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Jef

Part P was desined for kitchen and bathroom fitters. So why do you want to do this course when you already have C&G 236 parts 1 and 2.

Oh why are qualified electricians obsessed with one part of the building regulations?

Part P was desined for kitchen and bathroom fitters. So why do you want to do this course when you already have C&G 236 parts 1 and 2.Oh why are qualified electricians obsessed with one part of the building regulations?
Well since it references A,B,C,E,F,L&M they are obsessed with them too ;) .

Hello Jef. Competence is broader than just qualifications, I think the regs give a definition something about technical and practical experience and the type of work done, (someone will find a reference and quote I am sure). You then also have the issues of public liability insurance to consider. As others have said there are a lot of threads already about this topic.

Doc H.

Well thanks Doc H for the useful reply. Fair enough, perhaps i should have searched for a thread instead.

My particular "obssession" with the part P is quite a simple one, so I can work for myself on a domestic level.

cheers

J

you need to be REGISTERED on a COMPETENT PERSON SCHEME. get in touch with elecsa or eic and they will advise. otherwise, crack on and notify work with the building control. PArt P courses are a waste of time and money.

Wow, ok, thanks guys. So even without my AM2 ? (although I do plan on doing this eventually - just for my own peace of mind) I suppose i should just polish up on my T&I.

Thanks again for the conformation on this fellas, you've potentially saved me a grand!

Cheers

jef