Quick question about fuse box

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephen McClure

Reaction score
Is it normal to have wires taped up but not connected stuffed at the back of the face of the fuse box, and no sockets working either?

I'm not an electrician but it looks rough.

Yes it is

Sounds like a disconnected circuit which is no longer in use

They're taped up incase they ever have to be reinstated 

probably either an old redundant circuit thats been disconnected but possibly for reuse (often a shower circuit) or there's been a fault with them and they have been isolated

Normal but (my at least) best practice is to attach a lettering tape note about where the other end runs to and whether it was in re-usable condition when disconnected

Best practice would be to label the cables and connect them to earth.
mmm   Interesting to hear what others do then . .   

I would find that a bit untidy /confusing - especially putting an extra Earth wire (plus L &N ???)  in the E 's vs the L's and N's etc.     Maybe I'm wrong 

I would find that a bit untidy /confusing - especially putting an extra Earth wire (plus L &N ???)  in the E 's vs the L's and N's etc.     Maybe I'm wrong 
i usually leave the earth connected if possible, and short the end so if it does get powered up itll trip the circuit

I was taught the reason for terminating all conductors to earth is to kill any induced voltage that might be on the redundant circuit and under certain fault conditions prevent them from becoming live.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was taught the reason for terminating all conductors to earth is to kill any induced voltage that might be on the redundant circuit and under certain fault conditions prevent them from becoming live.
I tend to leave the earth connected just in case an earth has been pinched for another circuit such as a lighting cct wired in 2 core in places. 

Thanks,  Interesting thoughts,  but different risks and reasons and ways to do it 😀.       I might just start cutting the darn things off and washing my hands of it !

Latest posts