R1+R2 Tests on 3Phase

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E.M.F. MAN

Reaction score
Hi again sorry to be a pain but this 2391 practical is twisting my brain. Do you have to do a R1+R2 test on a 3 phase motor circuit and if so what is the proceedure???

Not sure but wouldnt you test between L1 & CPC, L2 & CPC, L3 & CPC and note the highest as R1 + R2.

Might be wrong tho so await being corrected.

Hi again, This is the thing that is confusing, can it be done the same as the insulation resistance test by joining L1+L2+L3 together and to earth???

You can test all 3 Phases seperately to CPC and readings should be much the same. if you connect more then 1 phase then it will reduce the true reading as you have resistence in parrallel

As this test is to confirm continuity of the CPC then one test would suffice, but I tend to do it to all 3 just as matter of interest and this checks all 3 Phase conductors are equally well terminated. ;)

As a 2391 assessor I expect all 3 R1+R2 readings to be taken, as for recording the results either record all 3 values (if recording the circuit on three lines) or the highest (on one line, but indicate that it is a TP&N circuit).

As a 2391 assessor I expect all 3 R1+R2 readings to be taken, as for recording the results either record all 3 values (if recording the circuit on three lines) or the highest (on one line, but indicate that it is a TP&N circuit).
dont see the point in R1R2 on each phase - after all, your only requirement is R2. R1R2 is normally done to use R1 as your wonder lead

Latest posts