RCD Tripping with load since adding spur.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could you possibly have confused which cable is the ring and which the radial?  That would cause strange happenings .

I too have wondered why there is a radial there in the first place, and also why you felt compelled to change it?

I cannot understand why even bother with cutting into ring cable to fit a junction box...?

i.e.

ring circuit 2x cables onto one MCB at CU..

radial circuit 1x cable onto another MCB at CU..

If you want the radial on the same circuit as the ring,  

why not just swap the cable terminations at the CU so your radial socket is now a spur off the ring at the CU....

BUT..

either way..

Doing any alterations without doing any testing before hand..

without using any proper test equipment..

and assuming just because something works it must be ok..

Then guessing the RCD must be faulty because it has tripped..

and swapping it without even testing the original RCD first..

are signs of someone out of their depth for working on electrical circuits without supervision..

:shakehead

:C     

Last edited by a moderator:
No, I'd admit I should've tested thoroughly before carrying out said work, having worked on industrial systems in my previous life I should know better. My test gear is not at my house at present and due to isolating it was too much of a risk to go and retreive it. I carried out very basic tests but that was it. It's no excuse but time was an issue with me caring for my wife and trying to keep the time the power was off to a minimum for her benefit. My intention was to use the cable from the radial for a radial to a utility room I'm converting without having to run a whole new cable back to the CU (more floors up etc.), so using a JB to connect as a spur was the ideal solution....and within the regs as far as I can remember. I replaced the RCD (not because I assumed it was faulty but) as the positive terminal clamp was threaded and wasn't clamping the cables (they were kind of just wedged in), with my assumption being that this MAY have been the issue.  I will need to investigate what else the radial interacts with but for the time being (for the reason stated above) I'll have to live with it until a more convenient time. Thank you to those who offered useful and helpful suggestions - they were much appreciated. 

After 21 years of self employment I have learned two very important rules for all wiring alterations..

1/ If the property has not been fully rewired by yourself at some previous date, before commencing any alteration..

Assume everything is wrong, faulty, or non-compliant until you have proved otherwise..

Once you have proved and confirmed the condition of all relevant circuits you intent to alter start doing your alterations.

2/ If the property has been fully rewired by yourself at some previous date, before commencing any alteration..

Double check you didn't forget something, or that someone hasn't changed your wiring, by re-testing to prove all still working and compliant..

Once you have proved and confirmed the condition of all relevant circuits you intent to alter start doing your alterations.

These two rules can save a lot of headaches & grief..

Guinness