REC Isolator

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OnOff

Mad Inventor™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi, what's the OFFICIAL process for getting a REC isolator fitted? Also any idea of costs for EDF etc to do this. I'm assuming I can supply it / they fit it? Thanks.

Depends on where you are OnOff, if I need one I ring my local WPD office and get a job no then the local tech rings me to arrange it, does the job, invoices me, all done.

Last one was about

Around here no chance UKPN. British gas fit them on new installs but thats about it.

Unless they have changed there policy EDF will not fit isolators.
Do they give a reason why? By them not allowing it (or making doing so prohibitively expensive) then surely it just encourages people to start breaking seals. IMO an REC can only be a good thing. I assume WPD is a provider in the post above - they sound very fair/reasonable? Also what does "IIRC" stand for?

I will call EDF and ask.

Thanks.

Iirc = if I remember correctly :)
Cheers for clearing that up! I don't really go in for too much of this "text" speak! Anyway, I've emailed EDF enquiring how to get an REC installed if I supply it. So, will see what they come back with - they quote up to 10 days for a reply!

It used to be you have to arrange an appointment to get them to isolaste tails then call them later to reconnect could be a three day job though.

Do they give a reason why? By them not allowing it (or making doing so prohibitively expensive) then surely it just encourages people to start breaking seals. IMO an REC can only be a good thing. I assume WPD is a provider in the post above - they sound very fair/reasonable? Also what does "IIRC" stand for?I will call EDF and ask.

Thanks.
their responsibility stops at the meter tails, they will say any equipment after that is nothing to do with them, around here the supplier is responsible for new earth connections. So the EDF may be the people to ask as they are a supplier but the DNO may be UKPN. Even the very few meters with isolators around here have had them sealed.

In preparation for EDF coming Monday I measured up the position of the existing meter, RCD and CU and transferred them to a board (like being at college). Temporarily mounted the NEW RCD (outline of old one shown dotted), and the new isolator. This allowed me me to bend and trim the new tails "just right". I'll have it all transferred and connected to the CU with the tails left ready. Fingers crossed they can just connect to the meter! Will finish off my dead testing tomorrow so I can have the certs ready if need be:

I see what you mean steptoe I'll make sure it's just right - not sure on how much to cut back for going into the meter - have left 15mm of copper then taken 10mm off the outer sheath to show the blue/brown. Photo of existing meter and RCD.........

Last edited by a moderator:
Took the plunge and disconnected the defective RCD. Fitted the replacement RCD and new REC isolator. Now then, I appreciate this is no doubt unconventional but I've then wired the defective RCD back in line so I can keep the power on. Hopefully in the morning all the guy has to do is take off the meter seals and fit my new tails. It was weird testing the new RCD via the test button - it trips pretty much instantaneously THEN the duff RCD trips a bit later! Both 80A 30mA.

Looking at your photo I can see a couple of things that have me thinking,,,

Is there any way you can turn the cover on the REC isolator the other way up as the removable side is on the supply side as it stands.

Have you kept the top surface of the RCD enclosure to IP2X, or is it like the bottom surface?

Latest posts