REC Isolator

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you SURE that RCD is okay with the input at the bottom?

Most installations (RCD inside a CU) have the input at the top.

Some RCD's are okay either way round, some are not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking at your photo I can see a couple of things that have me thinking,,,Is there any way you can turn the cover on the REC isolator the other way up as the removable side is on the supply side as it stands.

Have you kept the top surface of the RCD enclosure to IP2X, or is it like the bottom surface?
REC - OK, slight change on the REC, I've added a seal to it as well............or is that for "them" to seal? After all it is "my" REC not theirs.........

RCD - The RCD cable cut out is the same top and bottom. I had to cut that deep - the RCD sits on the DIN rail inside the enclosure quite high off the mounting board. There were pre "scribed" lines inside and I went to them. I could add a shaped plastic plate to improve the IP rating?

Are you SURE that RCD is okay with the input at the bottom?Most installations (RCD inside a CU) have the input at the top.

Some RCD's are okay either way round, some are not.
Thanks for that but I did check! The instructions read "The incoming cables to the RCD may be taken either to the top or bottom set of terminals dependent entirely on the ease of wiring the device". Fair point though.

REC - OK, slight change on the REC, I've added a seal to it as well............or is that for "them" to seal? After all it is "my" REC not theirs.........RCD - The RCD cable cut out is the same top and bottom. I had to cut that deep - the RCD sits on the DIN rail inside the enclosure quite high off the mounting board. There were pre "scribed" lines inside and I went to them. I could add a shaped plastic plate to improve the IP rating?
Great, thats much better, if they don't like your seal they'll just remove it and fit their own!

IP2X is no holes more than 1mm diameter, you won't usually get that with a plate,,, I find a that a bit of silicon does the job quite well;)

Great, thats much better, if they don't like your seal they'll just remove it and fit their own!IP2X is no holes more than 1mm diameter, you won't usually get that with a plate,,, I find a that a bit of silicon does the job quite well;)
I'll fab a couple of close fitting plates - day job is a mechanical & production engineer so no worries there. The RCD enclosure is actually an ABB one though the RCD is Wylex. Was all they had at TLC when I got it. Off to bed now. Will let all know how it goes with them tomorrow.

I usually put them in a REC2 type enclosure,

Im not sure what the effects silicon would have on cable,

but, if you want to use silicon I dont think I'd lose too much sleep over it.

Well the chap came this morning and it's all sorted. I think he was surprised to be doing it at all commenting " Most people would have cut the fuse seal which is actually illegal but I can understand you wanting to do it right!". He replaced the tails from the fuse to the meter so we're now all new colours right up to the CU. Whilst the fuse was out I noted its a 100A job (label has rubbed off) - I'd been wondering what it was. In keeping maybe with the property originally being a smallholding.

Thanks for everyone's help.

TBH, Silicon, Painters Caulk, Gripfill etc. are all bad for cables or something else in some way or other, but no one is really worse than any other.

Silicone and PVC are fine together. You don't get any reaction from these two materials.

Latest posts