RED CABLES !!!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manator

©Honorary Essex Boy™
Reaction score
Ok, I have spent a week installing a fire alarm system into a commercial property, at the start of the job I offered surface mount, or in conduit, the client being smart and wanting to keep the costs down said surface would be fine.

However now that the bright red cables are installed he said he would like it in conduit, fine I say, but it will have to be red, and will finish at least 4 inch from all surface mounted items because they will not fit, or I can replace the whole lot with metal trunking, and leave the manual call pints as they are. His mate? said I was talking a load of rubbish and that the conduit can be plastic and does not need to be red.

Now I know my reasons for saying the trunking had to be red, but can any of you guess why I insisted on red trunking? Or if not metal?

Does it matter what colour the trunking is, so long as the cables are supported by metal clips and segregated from other fixed wiring?

Or are you worried that if you enclose the cables in white mini trunking then someone else is going to come along and start running other cables within the same trunking?

Not really Manator , other than red mini trunking for fire alarms . Are they paying you to do it all again then ?

Ah I just thought of something, if you use Mini trunk you can don't have to disconnect all the break glasses, just remove clips and slot it in behind the FPs.

Icky sticky back trunking I presume.

Red mini trunking looks worse than the cables TBH, but my reasons for insisting on red trunking is sound, but for reasons other than what has been stated. The cables will have to be supported by metal clips, and this is another reason why plastic trunking is really a poor option.

red for fire alarms, red for danger, never really known the real reason? Some local councils make you put red alert trunking up and then clip the cables inside aswell.

...... can any of you guess why I insisted on red trunking?
You were sat in the back of your van tucking into a chicken tikka mossalla that you bought for your hard earned lunch, a bumble bee flew into the side of your face and you spilt the red mossalla sauce all over the bundle of white trunking that you were sitting on...... and now you are desperate to get rid of it..... am I getting warm ?

OOh - Matty -

catboxer.jpg(this`ll be Mrs. KME when she reads that........)

I could say..........but I can`t spoil it - the version I heard this morning contained real swear words................ ;)