Replacing 1 way switch with motion sensor

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJEvans

Reaction score
Hi all

Bit of a DIY project but it’s not worked. Im wanting to swap a wall mounted 1 way switch (Common and L1 connection only) to a room motion sensor.

The sensor I have has L, A, and N

I’m assuming the live into L, th switch live into A but then I have no neutral from existing switch. Could I run a neutral from the ceiling rose to the motion sensor

Or have I got this completely wrong?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
You are correct you will need a neutral connection from the same circuit..

Not sure how you intend running just a neutral?
Do you have any single core sheathed neutral cable?
How easy is access to the switch?

It may be best to pull out existing the twin cable and replace it with a new 3-core & earth between light & switch...?
Giving you Permanent live, Switched Live, Neutral and Earth cores. Which would cover all options.

You are correct you will need a neutral connection from the same circuit..

Not sure how you intend running just a neutral?
Do you have any single core sheathed neutral cable?
How easy is access to the switch?

It may be best to pull out existing the twin cable and replace it with a new 3-core & earth between light & switch...?
Giving you Permanent live, Switched Live, Neutral and Earth cores. Which would cover all options.
Thanks for the swift reply. The access will be easy, the sensor will be installed in the ceiling about 2m away from the ceiling rose.

So I was intending on pulling the N from the rose. I have some 1.5mm T and E which I was going to use just the neutral core but I will do your suggestion and run a new length of cable between rose and sensor, instead of protecting a single neutral in trunking. All the work is in the loft space

Latest posts