Returning to industry as improver

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JEFSKI

Reaction score
hi Folks!,

a newbie here! looking for advice regarding returning to the industry. Don't wanna bore people too much so i'll be quick as i can.

Almost completed my apprenticeship back in 1995...but failed 2 parts of AM2....firm wouldn't pay for re-sit of exam. Left industry (in a huff!)

Have certificates for C&G parts I & II though.

A lot has changed in 15 years but i've always kept my hand in with the basics. (still enjoy the home improvments etc!!)

I'm thinking of retaking the AM2 and doing the courses for the IEE regs and the inspection & testing.

I'm assuming i could come back into the industry as an Improver/mate. Has anyone had similar experiences ? ...I've tried contacting the JIB but they've not been forthcoming with any info.

I'm obviously lacking experience but would/could anyone suggest the best course of action in getting my JIB card etc.....i've still got a pension with them from when i first joined.!! ...just not sure where to start, i suppose i need to be employed first & foremost!!

Thanks in advance!!

Jef

To get a JIB card, you now have to do the ECS safty test. When you do the safety test, you will get a form with a list of occupations and gradings. Fill it out and they will grade you accordingly.

You should be able to download a form from the JIB website. Try searching for 'JIB ECS'.

Ah ok, simple as that! :)

thanks for the reply! much appreciated!

Jefski

As for continuing your studies mate I would try looking at local colleges for any night school classes starting, the other alternative to that is paying a private learning school which are better than others. Welcome to the forum. :)

Cheers mate....

looking into the night classes!

got a 2 day AM2 refresher in March at a college in Dartford...just to see how much i've forgotten!! ...

Latest posts