Rip off DIY Sheds

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jono Pashley

Reaction score
Went first thing this morning to get a new shower pullcord for a friend whose went bang last night. Picked up a BG one which i expected to be cheaper than the MK ones they had, but no SEL was there so went to get the price. Barstewards wanted 14 quid for it, in the end i bought a 50A MK one, got home and checked how much the BG ones are on TLC 8.99+vat. Bloody rip off merchants, no wonder they are still doing ok despite the recession!

ah c'mon guys - you cant have it both ways!

If there's a difference between between B&Q and your wholesaler price that's the mark up!

If not homeowners would buy the stuff themselves to save your % (I would)

:|

Supply and demand gents - that's the free market economy we live in. Remember that your wholesaler doesn't have the massive rents and rates that the sheds do. Let joe publice pay a bit more then they can't complane when we charge them a bit on top of our wholesaler prices, more profit!!!

The other thing to remember is:

Why didn't you go the wholesalers? - 'cos they're not open bank holidays.

Why didn't you order from TLC? - cos you want it now

Convenience has a price (in this case a fiver)

The other thing to remember is:Why didn't you go the wholesalers? - 'cos they're not open bank holidays.

Applaud Smiley

Spot on!:DApplaud Smiley

Im still allowed to complain! :coat
You most certainly are Jono. These situations do show just how much mark-up the large DIY outlets are putting on the products, when taking in to consideration their initial bulk-buying power. Although some of the extra costs are the individual packaging, boxes/bubble packs etc with nice glossy print to attract the DIY customer.

Doc H.

The other thing to remember is:Why didn't you go the wholesalers? - 'cos they're not open bank holidays.

So true I was working on a sunday once and had to have the job finished for opening monday morning, ran out of some single brown 2.5 and had to buy some from a local large DIY store, broke my heart paying over the odds but it got the job done on time.

(and taught me a lesson)