Sad News

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mort2376

The devil's in the details, or the dodgy wiring !
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's sad news about the young boy in Blackpool who was electrocuted in the Hotel reception area.

My thoughts go out to the family at this time.

Having worked in the Blackpool area ( not at this hotel ) I am not surprised that something like this has happened.

A majority of Blackpool based sparks won't work in the area as they know how starting any work will open up a huge can of worms that they don't want to deal with.

Alot of b&b places are converted houses alit of which have had the wiring done by the landlord or by a mate who could do it.

Eicrs are required by the local authority, but who actually follows up and checks these Eicrs ?

I'm guessing that there's probably an Electrical company sat sweating and checking their insurance policy at this moment in time, but whatever the outcome it won't bring back the innocent young lad.

Very sad and tragic and probably avoidable, no idea if this instance involved faulty appliance or failure of fixed wiring protective devices..??

But whatever the circumstances it must remind us all that we are working with an invisible energy source that can take a life very rapidly. And hopefully encourage us to always ensure that our work is designed, constructed and tested to fail safe and protect people, property and livestock.

In difficult economic cost of living climates there are many pressures to cut corners to win contracts.... As we all have bills to pay, and numerous potential clients often say they have limited budgets.. But do not be tempted to skip a bit of testing, certification, checking bonding etc...

I guess every town/city has its areas where, the cut-price landlords and cowboy contractors are the main players.... But it is far better to stay above their level, maintain your standards and possibly lose a contact rather than being an instrument to someone losing a life.

Thoughts, condolences, best wishes, prayers etc to all of the family of this youngster who has had their future taken from them... :(🙏💔

Very tragic indeed, and in my opinion yet another sign of how poor the regulation of electrical work is in this country. Unfortunately we don't get enough of these type of cases to make anyone get off their backside and actually enforce some comprehensive statutory regulations about who can undertake electrical work!! 😲

Yet another truly sad situation . Condolences to those left to live with this tragic passing of life.

Had a situation recently where a member of the public services!! took on a board change at a job where we were doing other non electrical works, I didn't see any test equipment and no earthing was upgraded or bonding to gas meter installed I doubt the old 60s wiring was tested and he mentioned he could not sign the work off as he didn't have 2391 ,so obviously he was not registered or truly competent . As he is a employee of a government safety and life saving service he should know better .I really hope some proper legislation is put in place to stop this occurring ,as we know reporting a non registered cash jobbing under qualified person never leads to anything!!.
We are not the electrical police and sadly nor is any cps seemingly able to do anything .

Time for them who take our subscriptions to lobby Government for Change .

Yet another truly sad situation . Condolences to those left to live with this tragic passing of life.
It is always sad to hear of young people passing on especially where someone else's error's may have led to the unfortunate occurance
Had a situation recently where a member of the public services!! took on a board change at a job where we were doing other non electrical works, I didn't see any test equipment and no earthing was upgraded or bonding to gas meter installed I doubt the old 60s wiring was tested and he mentioned he could not sign the work off as he didn't have 2391 ,so obviously he was not registered or truly competent . As he is a employee of a government safety and life saving service he should know better .I really hope some proper legislation is put in place to stop this occurring ,as we know reporting a non registered cash jobbing under qualified person never leads to anything!!.
We are not the electrical police and sadly nor is any cps seemingly able to do anything .

Time for them who take our subscriptions to lobby Government for Change .
This is not uncommon these days but then again their are people claiming to be competent and are registered who haven't got a bobbies clue as to what they are doing when they come up against something out of the ordinary or an installation that may or may not have perceived historical problems when it comes to current legislation
While I don't like the current schemes that are clearly failing the industry in their dash for cash I would like to see a skilled persons scheme where properly qualified, accredited and skilled tradespersons can be assessed and registered there are going to some that moan about the bar being raised but for far too long it has been sinking into the abyss and going forward I believe the industry needs to change. Gassafe has legislation to back it up but gassafe has similar problems to the electrical industry with registered rogue engineers who are not carrying out proper testing prior to leaving a jobs and later faults are found

While it is far to early to attribute or apportion blame in the case of this young lad's electrocution it will be interesting to see the report and then we will see if any lesson's can and will be learned from it

While I don't like the current schemes that are clearly failing the industry in their dash for cash I would like to see a skilled persons scheme where properly qualified, accredited and skilled tradespersons can be assessed and registered there are going to some that moan about the bar being raised but for far too long it has been sinking into the abyss and going forward I believe the industry needs to change.
I've argued for years that tighter regulation is the only way forward, but the scheme providers don't make themselves popular, so that idea doesn't get far as this means they would have more power to charge more money. However, if that resuted in shutting out cowboys, we would possibly get greater recognition for our skills, and in theory could charge more for our services. Catch 22!

The last thing you need is a scheme/s running it look at Part P.
There should be a registration/license system and the only way you can obtain the majority of electrical equipment is through outlets who will only release it to people who can prove they are endorsed by the system but it will never happen.

There should be a registration/license system and the only way you can obtain the majority of electrical equipment is through outlets who will only release it to people who can prove they are endorsed by the system but it will never happen.
Totally true. As long as B&Q will sell Electrical parts anyone will fit them.

The last thing you need is a scheme/s running it look at Part P.
You win the prize for funniest post of the day
I have a few mates in the wholesaling side of the industry and they regularly get asked by some of these registered / endorsed / approved guys what they need to do some jobs it gets pointed out to them that they are the sparks and as counter staff in a wholesalers they are not qualified as to the suitability of the equipment they sell for any particular installation

You win the prize for funniest post of the day
I have a few mates in the wholesaling side of the industry and they regularly get asked by some of these registered / endorsed / approved guys what they need to do some jobs it gets pointed out to them that they are the sparks and as counter staff in a wholesalers they are not qualified as to the suitability of the equipment they sell for any particular installation
Glad you are easily amused.

I've posted this before
Called in at wholesalers to use the bog ( bladder cancer so,when I need to go I need to go )
Spark,at counter saying he has some LEDs and only one I'll,work. Any more than one and they stop
I said he had the wrong driver
Came back from loo and he was looking at CK screwdriver display
Asked my opinion so,I said ."top left, second one in"
And he's getting paid for this

The customer has agreed to have the socket replaced with a 13a spur feeding a 16a socket. I'm hoping the spur unit will cope better than a plug top as the next step will be to modify the weatherproof spur to a 20a DP switch.

There isn't an easy answer to regulating the industry but making it a legal requirement to be a member of a scheme would be a start. It's helped the gas industry but hasn't as people have already mentioned stopped things completely.

Also more power to the schemes to prosecute for non compliance work quicker and more often.

On Napits member site you can report bad work, but apparently its only for the collection of stats so I think most members don't see the point in it.

The customer has agreed to have the socket replaced with a 13a spur feeding a 16a socket. I'm hoping the spur unit will cope better than a plug top as the next step will be to modify the weatherproof spur to a 20a DP switch.

There isn't an easy answer to regulating the industry but making it a legal requirement to be a member of a scheme would be a start. It's helped the gas industry but hasn't as people have already mentioned stopped things completely.

Also more power to the schemes to prosecute for non compliance work quicker and more often.

On Napits member site you can report bad work, but apparently its only for the collection of stats so I think most members don't see the point in it.
think I would go straight for the 20A isolator, but a fused spur will certainly be better than a plug.