Scantronic 9448 - Can I Replace Sab With Basic Siren?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kas

Reaction score
Hi all.

I’ve recently installed a Scantronic 9448 in my workshop, and was wondering if I could just hook up a basic siren in place of the SAB?
No clues in the manual. A single reference on-line indicated that this would work by first linking TR with 0V, then connecting the siren between 12V and Bell. Sadly, it didn't.
Any suggestions?

It's not really practical fitting a bell box to a low level metal workshop, so would prefer a concealed internal siren if possible.

Thanks in advance.

not sure of that particular model, but most alarms work by switching the negative, so you can usually wire a sounder between 12V supply and bell connection

Thanks Andy.

I agree, that would appear to be the norm.

The 12V definately works as it's also powering the remote keypad. TR definately has to be linked to 0V otherwise it shows a tamper fault, so I guess the problem's with the negative return.

The sirens works ok on a 12V supply, no polarity problems. All fuses appear ok.

I'm gonna go back and take a detailed look at it. Thanks again.

At the panel link TR to 0V. Wire your sounder to Bell & 12V. The sounder will time out after the pre-set period. You could wire it to the internal sounder circuit if using a speaker type sounder , the LS & + terminals  but it would  also mimic the keypad sounds & tampers also. You could connect to the  STR (strobe) & 12V terminals but it would continue to sound until the panel is reset like that.  

I note that's what you tried, I am guessing you had the polarity wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
funnily enough

Ive just done the same on my shed, its on a gen4 panel though,

internal soundblaster thingie, and a siren pointing out through a hidden vent to outside.

Guys.

No polarity issue with the siren, as I already pointed out.

I carried out a few voltage checks at the terminals.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Under normal conditions (no alarm), both bell and strobe are at 12V (relative to 0V).

In alarm condition, bell and strobe should drop to 0V? but they don't, both are still at 12V.

I can only assume that there's either a fault with the panel, or it's simply not designed to be used in this mode. Not sure I want to fork out for an SAB if turns out to be a fault, but I guess it's the only way to be sure.

Slipshod and Slapdash - Thanks for your comments. I suppose an extended speaker is an option, just not as powerfull.

kas,

you need to remember, alarm panels in general switch the 0v for the bell,

there should always be 12v on the out,

its if the panel is switching the 0v on for the returnn sounds like the issue,

you may be able to check this by putting your siren on the 12v out and 0v common somewhere on the rail,

dunno, would it work on the battery 0v,?  :C

I threw one of those panels out a couple of weeks ago,

had to replace it with a gen4 for a remote KP,,,,,,,