Segregation Of Circuits

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OnOff

Mad Inventor™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A few questions here relating to a practical application I have. I've designed my own electric sliding gate system for the front of the house as in done the CAD and had the frame made then designed the posts, guide rollers etc and made them myself. The gate frame is all made, the gate posts are in and the drive kit bought from Easygates. Now, the "norm" is to place the control PCB in the same enclosure that houses the motor that drives the gate. I don't want to do this so will be siting the control pcb in it's own enclosure in the garage. In terms of cable length the from the enclosure to the gate motor it's approximately 14m.

g_001.jpg

The basic wiring diagram is shown below:

eg_001.jpg

I'm planning a 2' ish deep trench dug from the garage to the post with the cabling laid therin with all the proper cable tapes etc a la the OSG. Here's where I'm unsure. In the trench will be an SWA feeding the gate motor with 230V. Also a separate SWA for the various pillar lights (lights on their own breaker). Then, in the same trench, I have the 24v line to the flashing lamp, limit switch lines, photocell wires (not shown)and keypad 10-core cable (not shown). I will also include intercom line and quite likely CCTV cabling.

If I'm reading the OSG correctly then the SWA, by virtue of the earthed armour offers protection against "harmful mutual effects" so I don't need to worry about maintaining a 50mm separation. The text that comes with the gate kit says:

"Do not use any fixed copper lines. Do not lay any 230 volt cables in parallel and do not lay any 2 cables in the same cable trunking".

Are they meaning between the individual 24V lines? Am I worrying too much? Should I just whack it all? I was considering running the armoureds on their own then all the control cabling in say a 50mm corrugated plastic cable duct.

Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated.

Cheers

OK, are the 24v lines insulated to 230v?will they be susceptible to interference?
The 24v lines are not screened or anything. Just basic grey YY cable for the most part. My thinking is that if the SWA armoured is earthed then they will not upset the control cabling. Just wondering if there will be any mutual induction issues between the 24v lines and say the intercom and CCTV cabling. I was half thinking of hacking up some uPVC cladding off cuts with neatly spaced holes to keep the cables apart in the bottom of the trench. THAT falls apart a bit as I'm looking to bring it all up (through the floor) to the control cabinet in the garage in a bit of trunking. I suppose I could try it and if it doesn't work buy some screened cable.

YY,? armoured flex?

earth the sheath and I think it would be ok, maybe.

I wouldnt worry about it too much TBH, Id be more concerned about the insulation @230 being ok.

why dont folks just say the type of cable instead of all these letters and numbers?

: headbang

T&E is exactly that, I dont need to know its 62417xyz or whatever, its simply 2.5T&E, .............

sorry, Im just a simple spark, not a catalogue, :Blushing

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 23:31 ---------- Previous post was made at 23:29 ----------

isnt it funny how BS7671 doesnt refer to it by numbers ? :|

Nowt wrong with quality SY when it's cold....Do you use proper glands for the SY braid ?

They should stop selling SY unless you have a certificate to say you can earth (or isolate) the braid correctly, 99.9% of SY I see is bodged....
Most of the SY stuff I've come across has already been installed by others and we get the service contract on the kit. I reckon 99% of the time it just has a plastic stuffing gland with NO regard for earthing the braid. I caught a cold once by kicking up on a job that the braid hadn't been earthed and went out and got the proper glands. Then had a pig of a job as they project further into the enclosure that the plastic jobbies and it was very tight.

Most of the SY stuff I've come across has already been installed by others and we get the service contract on the kit. I reckon 99% of the time it just has a plastic stuffing gland with NO regard for earthing the braid. I caught a cold once by kicking up on a job that the braid hadn't been earthed and went out and got the proper glands. Then had a pig of a job as they project further into the enclosure that the plastic jobbies and it was very tight.
is this classified in BS7671 then?

maybe I missed it?

just wondering if SY was a 7671 classification or not,

after all, T&E is referenced in BS7671 without any numbers or letters, so why do we need to refer to other cable types by numbers and letters rather than their generic descriptions.?

maybe its just me, maybe Im old , maybe I learnt properly/or not.

why not just say armour flex, SWA, T&E, 3cFlex etc, why all the codes?

do you also order your screws in the same way, or do you simply buy some inch and a half 8s ?

just wondering if SY was a 7671 classification or not,after all, T&E is referenced in BS7671 without any numbers or letters, so why do we need to refer to other cable types by numbers and letters rather than their generic descriptions.?

maybe its just me, maybe Im old , maybe I learnt properly/or not.

why not just say armour flex, SWA, T&E, 3cFlex etc, why all the codes?

do you also order your screws in the same way, or do you simply buy some inch and a half 8s ?
My mistake I guess. Just thought most would know what YY was...........sorry!

Sorry, in my world we talk of "HO7" and "YY" and everyone knows what you mean. Occasionally even "SY" (but that's 'orrible when it's cold):Buy SY Cable CONTROL CABLE OLFLEX SY 12 CORE 0.75MM Lapp 1125112 online from RS for next day delivery.
My mistake I guess. Just thought most would know what YY was...........sorry!
some of us work in the real world and work to real regulations,

not the bits that were taught to pass a 5WW course,

it doesnt make you seem knowledgeable calling cable the same as the wholesalers, it makes you seem like a *****!

in my world, WTF is that? disney****ingland?

some of us work in the real world and work to real regulations,not the bits that were taught to pass a 5WW course,

it doesnt make you seem knowledgeable calling cable the same as the wholesalers, it makes you seem like a *****!

in my world, WTF is that? disney****ingland?
???

PM'd