Shower "problem"......

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NozSpark

Seaman stains™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had a phonecall from a customer for who I replaced a few months ago complaining about the shower saying that it gets very hot.

What happens is she has her shower, wets her hair, turns the shower off... shampoo's her hair and then turns the shower back on to rinse...when she then turns it back on the water comes out very hot, then cold and then slowly warms up to temp..

Don't get me wrong, but don't all showers do this?

Got to go back in the morning to tell her to not turn it off mid shower... bet she won't have it though:(

Sounds right to me Noz!

Our Triton does exactly that though not so bad as it has a cool down overrun, so depending on the setting it may come out cold then slowly warm up.

:good luck:

Perhaps you need her to demonstrate?... ]:) ] :) ]:)

ROTFWL

:coat

sounds like a normal shower.

how comes its taken months to call you!?

^ as above. sounds normal - no water flowing, water in heat exchanger gets hotter than 'normal', but doesnt have time to cool down, new water flow pushes hot water out and takes a few seconds for element to get back to temp.

only solution to the hot part would be a shower like Sidewinder mentioned, which cools down before water shuts off

i had the same problem with a redring shower. i phoned redring and they said it was a faulty solinoid. i got a new solinoid a stuck it in problem solved

TBH I very much doubt that there is a fault with this shower.. Andy gives a very good description of what I suspect is happening..
TBH i disagree with Andy. what should happen is when you push the stop button the shower runs for a few seconds. at this point the element has been switched off but the water that was already heated has been dumped the new cold water has cooled the element. when the element is cool the solinoid stops. the water flow. when the start button is switched on the shower should take a few seconds to warm to appropriate temp before water flows again

sounds normal. the very reason boilers have run on pumps is because when they switch off they actually get hotter for a few minutes internally and the run on pump draws this heat and circulates it.

heat soak is the key word

TBH i disagree with Andy. what should happen is when you push the stop button the shower runs for a few seconds. at this point the element has been switched off but the water that was already heated has been dumped the new cold water has cooled the element. when the element is cool the solinoid stops. the water flow. when the start button is switched on the shower should take a few seconds to warm to appropriate temp before water flows again
Not all showers have this facility. Many when you switch off heat the water to boiling point in the element cylinder (you can hear it boiling), the pressure in there must be pretty high as well.

If your customer is in area with a limescale problem (can't remember whether this is soft or hard water!) this can make the problem worse. Over time as the element gets coated with limescale the water heats up even faster on switch off as there's less water in the cylinder if you know what I mean.

you really have no idea. a shower with cool down will work exactly as you describe. but in reality, you will find most showers dont have that facility. infact, many showers are contolled by the user turning the water on/off directly, and a switch attached to the valve to tuen the element on/off

Guys... "calm down,,, calm down" scouse accent;)

Hawk81,

different makes and models of showers work in different ways, some turn the element off and then delay the water turn off and others just turn the element and water solenoid both at the same time - this is the type that I fitted and it's a MIRA (Go / Vie IIRC)

Riggy.. all showers are open vented through the shower head so there is no pressure build up,, they only ever turn off the incomming supply.

i think mira and redring showers are very similar. i wil probably be corrected on this point.

who do you think you are???? i think you will find that my explination of my theory shows i do have an idea. i thought this forum was for us all to submit our ideas. obviously you think you are the only one that might have the right idea, and this gives you the right to be nasty. i just said i did not agree with your opinion. a lot of makes of showers have the feature i described.
there are 2 types of shower switching. those where both water and heater stops at the same time, and those were heater stops before water to cool it down. what was originally described is the type where both heat & water stop at the same time. what we dont need is for someone to then jump in with 'no, what should happen is xxx, not yyy', even though 'xxx' has nothing to do with shower type 'yyy', and if you really did have any idea, you would be aware of that.

Latest posts