Smart meter isolation switch

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CTID

Reaction score
Just been reading issue 25 of 'Switched On' magazine. The following text is an article from it. What views are there on what can only be seen, in my opinion, as the government once again failing to see the bigger picture.

'The government has announced that it has rejected the electrical installation industry's business case for the inclusion of an integral isolating switch in smart meters. The decision, made in April, was made despite the fact that none of the cost/benefit information on which the detailed case was based was challenged and despite support from the Association of Meter Operators and the Energy Networks Association.

The announcement was included in the "Government Response to the consultation on draft licence conditions and technical specifications for the roll-out of gas and electrical smart metering equipment." The consultation had been launched last August, and was reported on in the winter issue of Switched On.

To quote the executive summary of the government response: "Views were sought on a requirement to include an isolation switch in the Smart Metering Equipment Technical Specification to allow electrical contractors to work safely between the meter and the consumer unit (fusebox) without requiring the main supply fuse (the cut-out) to be removed. A majority of respondents opposed the requirement on grounds including cost and the delay this would cause on the roll-out. The Government has concluded that there is no material evidence to support regulatory intervention on the grounds of safety or market failure as part of the Smart Metering Implementation Programme, but will work with The relevant regulatory authorities to develop a process to help stakeholders find an alternative solution."

The electrical industry's case for inclusion of an integral isolating switch, which was co-ordinated by the Electrical Safety Council, has been submitted to the Department of Energy and Climate Change (DECC) last summer.

The electrical safety council is disappointed with this outcome which it believes not only fails to take into proper account the safety, technical and financial merits of the business case, but also wider national interest issues including the government's aim to reduce regulatory and administrative burdens on small businesses.

The council has updated the original business case to take into account subsequent developments and to form the basis of ongoing discussions with government. The updated case can be viewed on the industry section of the councils website, www.esc.org.uk, in the 'smart metering' section.'

The last explanation I had Dave, was it reads itself, then it reads your gas meter and sends the readings is to head office. Someone said it also knows if the seal fairies have visited.

And I would guess they don't want to bother with isolators because they have all been made (in China) and are sitting in a warehouse waiting to be fitted.

Typical , pathetic attitude, never consulted the trade because the first thing the trade would say is " Great, change every meter in the country , that means we will have isolators at last ...........doesn't it ?" :C

Just remind me in simple terms exactly what a "smart meter" is anyway, ans why would I want one?
A tool for alqaeda to bring this country to its knees, with far less hassle than simultaneously taking out numerous national grid / generation facilities. Or am i being cynical again.

Have heard that problems are experienced with smart meters if there is no vodaphone reception at the premises. Ie meter readings cannot be transmitted to the supplier.

Ah, so it's not really "smart" it just has a wireless link so they can sack all the meter readers.

Why don't they give these things more intuitive names, like "remote reading meter"

I was worried a smart meter might be something that starts charging you a higher rate the more KWH you are consuming, to try and encourage (bribe) you to flatten out your consumption.

But yes totally stupid to not include an isolator. I'm spoiled up here (as are you southern SSE guys as well probably) as most single rate meters here already have an isolator. How stupid it would be to see those swapped out for something new without one.

Vodaphone?.............the old telemetric E7 switches work on Radio 4

As far as in aware, and I stand by to be corrected, smart meters transmit consumption data via the vodaphone network, and are deemed all but useless if there is no coverage in the area they are installed. Amazingly they do not, or have no plans to, incorporate an isolation switch. This is all according to my source. (a pal who fits them for BG)

If the smart meter can tell if the seal fairy has been...

Does it mean we would have to contact a call centre to announce the fairies visit or will a retrained meter reader have to come over at an inconvenient time dressed as a seal fairy with an invoice for doing so?

If so the customer will have a bigger bill. Paying us sparks to call up call centres and make more visits.

No doubt a cheaper black market alternative will be developed like wrapping the meter is tin foil to stop it grassing up the seal fairy.

Maybe you get three points on your license if caught doing it

"It was submitted to the DECC"!!!!!!!

That was the fundamental issue - they put the idea in the hands of the twonks who (pretty much) dismantled the solar PV industry in this country.

The surprise would have been to see them do something sensible, tbh

Disappointed? Yes

Surprised? Not in the slightest.

Cynical? Carlsberg!

Guys how anonymous is this forum when it comes to whistle blowers?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds interesting

Safest way would be to use a public computer or open access wifi, create a new account and start blowing the whistle.

Sounds interestingSafest way would be to use a public computer or open access wifi, create a new account and start blowing the whistle.
But please refer to this thread when you blow your whistle so we know who you are :coat

Smart Meters can use ANY mobile network, when installed the fitter checks to see which has the best signal strength and installs a sim card to suit.

Many have been installed already.

The government, as usual, has not been involved enough with the trade itself, allowed manufacturers to mass produce before consulting the everyday workers. They say it is not cost effective to include a isolation switch, hmmm is this because they are already sat waiting to be installed, of course. What is not cost effective either is every electrician/installer having to contact the DNO to come and pull the fuse!!! Even the reports mentioned it would benefit the safety of workers and the financial interest of small businesses, but who cares about the small business, and who cards about safety, clearly not if it comes at the cost of an ill thought out device!!!

Rant over :coat

Locked to prevent being resurrected (again)

Status
Not open for further replies.