So, we went out to get 3 paint matchpots and.................

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Home for the terminally bewildered, one step ahead
So, we have fitted new sliding door wardrobes in the bedroom, so it then needed decorating. Went to get some matchpots to decide on the clour and came back with a Fricking new kitchen AND 3 matchpots.

The kitchen project will be major as it involves taking out 2 walls, putting in 1 new wall and a girder.

So, now to my point. As the work will be so major I want to put in a sound system so I can [say] plug ipod/iphone into 1 room and play it in that room or, should we ever be able to afford a party, play music in selected rooms. Maybe even different music in different rooms via local ipods/iphones.

In you opinion what is the best and not too expensive system? it needs to be adaptable, able to be expanded as I refurb other rooms and use standard cable [Cat5e??]

All suggestions gratefully received ideally from people who have installed them. I lloked at an Aldous system a while ago but it used brand specific cable and was a tad expensive [i thought]

Many thanks in advance

... :coat

before?....well put it this way: when my middle child was doing her Degree in Graphic design [clever girl got a First] she was tasked with designing an add campaign for a childrens charity. She wanted to depict a 'latch key kid' having to cook their own food in a grotty dilapidated kitchen. She used our kitchen AND won an award for her choice of set. Having said that, I will take copious pics. I just hope my end result will be the same as the picture Mrs K has in her mind. Reckon I have a couple of months work to do, could be more as I am mobbed at work [and long may it continue!!!!!] so it's nights and weekends. Not told her about the sound system.......... :coat

The "bose" is good - but xpensive, IMO

Sonos....I`ve seen, but not heard - ergo I`ll say they "look" okay.

Couldn`t you just put the cabling in now, and deal with the system specifics later? Cat5 and speakers won`t be a problem......

Thinking: Just used RS100 for a 100V line pub sound system - VERY impressed with quality of kit, and audio quality. Don`t know if they have the kit you want..........watch this space, I`ll get some info on things mate.

Couldn`t you just put the cabling in now, and deal with the system specifics later? Cat5 and speakers won`t be a problem......

That was prob with Aldous....system specific cable from room ipod docking unit to central amp/consolidation/distribution unit. So if I could go Cat5e for everything it would make life easier. I will have to do more research as this only happened on sunday.

S'pose I could put flexi conduit in but it is never big enough. Even having to build chimney breast out to accomodate HDMI cables and stuff... :coat

That was prob with Aldous....system specific cable from room ipod docking unit to central amp/consolidation/distribution unit. So if I could go Cat5e for everything it would make life easier. I will have to do more research as this only happened on sunday.S'pose I could put flexi conduit in but it is never big enough. Even having to build chimney breast out to accomodate HDMI cables and stuff... :coat
why not?

worked fine on the old ships, all you have to do is shout down it a bit harder,!!! :|

Sonos, no question about it, there is nothing that can touch it for everyday use, I've worked with Opus, Systemline, A-bus which is what I think your Aldous stuff would be and it's all pants compared to Sonos.

I've got three ZP120 and a ZP90 linked to an Onkyo 609 currently and it will be growing by another four zones shortly.

You will not need your iPod as it pulls music from your iTunes if you have a pc or nas running, I've got the spotify subscription for under a tener a month and it gives me a library of 10,000,000 songs to stream but you can buy and most tracks are 50p

It also streams internet radio and I have my favourites set up for listen again like ken Bruce etc.

If you want you can use the audio line level in so you can play say motogp from the telly into the bog if you need to :)

I install Sonos all the time, in fact sorted out a clients 7 Zone setup yesterday , so feel free to PM and I can talk you through your options

PS Airplay is a bit limited but is supported by Sonos

+ what Ian said!!!

Canoe is that a 2nd Apple product you are less than pleased with, OMG how are you going to cope? ; \

It begins.........

Steel Ordered

Windows ordered

Velux ordered

Kitchen ordered

French Doors ordered

Heart beat increased slightly

Start in 2 weeks.. Basics finished by christmas [well that's what i have told the current wife] excluding the flooring [i have 500 sq metres of carpet tiles to use as a temp job]

As for the sound system?????? could be Cat5e wire only as the Stable door for the kitchen seems to want to take priority

........................................................................ :coat

It begins.........Steel Ordered

Windows ordered

Velux ordered

Kitchen ordered

French Doors ordered

Start in 2 weeks.. Basics finished by christmas [well that's what i have told the current wife] excluding the flooring [i have 500 sq metres of carpet tiles to use as a temp job]

As for the sound system?????? could be Cat5e wire only as the Stable door for the kitchen seems to want to take priority

You getting a new wife for Christmas? ;) ; )

It begins.........Steel Ordered

Windows ordered

Velux ordered

Kitchen ordered

French Doors ordered

He might well be after Hercs has been to stay. :D

You getting a new wife for Christmas? ;) ; )
Well I have ordered one...........but I feel my luck may be out!

As for the Stable Door...seems like a good idea to keep the 2 grandaughters contained and allow fresh air in whilst the dogs are outside. Plus, 'first wife' will feel at home/stable as she has an 'orse............... :coat