Solar quotes which one to choose?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a building contractor and though I know the basics of most trades an electrician I'm not.
I installed my own system Inc battery's on my garage and got a sparky to connect it up and commission it.
It's a pretty simple process and the solar stuff is mostly plug and play.
It's making sure you have the right equipment cos remember Electric especially DC can bite and it will hurt. If your Alive to feel it.

Would have I attempted it without the spark doing all the technical stuff. Not a chance..

Thanks john for the info on the inverter. ive had these quotes (above) but have also thought about installing the panels myself and getting an electrician to wire the system up
I would have thought that would be ok.

im not to worried about selling back to the grid so dont need all the paper work for that
I consider I've failed when I export, I aim to use all I generate.

im a plumbing and heating engineer of 35 years so the main install would be no problem , but every electrician i speak to is not interested in the wireing up of the system
How odd, the hard bit will have been done.

ive done a material quote and the 7 panels with inverter and fixing stuff would work out about 2k
Seems a good price

i was hoping a sparks could wire it up for 500 to 800 so would make a good saving.
I would have thought that figure would be attractive to sparkies, they must have a lot of better paying work?

Can you see any problems with a DiY system ie house insurance ( although the install would be on my detached garage)
I dont know, a lot will depend on the insurance company I would think. I'm with Natwest who use Direct Line, I told them I'd had solay and battery installed thats all they needed. They didnt ask any specifics so I didnt voluterr anything.

do you know any good sparkies in suffolk!!
I dont know any good sparkies ANYWHERE :)

Thanks john for the info on the inverter. ive had these quotes (above) but have also thought about installing the panels myself and getting an electrician to wire the system up im not to worried about selling back to the grid so dont need all the paper work for that , im a plumbing and heating engineer of 35 years so the main install would be no problem , but every electrician i speak to is not interested in the wireing up of the system , ive done a material quote and the 7 panels with inverter and fixing stuff would work out about 2k i was hoping a sparks could wire it up for 500 to 800 so would make a good saving. Can you see any problems with a DiY system ie house insurance ( although the install would be on my detached garage) and do you know any good sparkies in suffolk!!
Funny thing is, those sparkies involved with solar are busy doing that, and those not involved are scared of it...

Thanks all, the quote for the materials was from midsummer online and binky i think you have hit the nail on the head about your average electrician being scared of solar.Thanks john for your answers as well

Status
Not open for further replies.