Which solar panels

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tally1001

Reaction score
Hi All
got some quotes in for new system, options are 9 Canadian 550w panels or 12 Longi HiMo5 400W panels
is it better to go for 9 higher wattage or 12 lower
also the 9 panels are 2 string and the 12 panels are 1 string
many thanks

Last edited:
Hi All
got some quotes in for new system, options are 9 Canadian 550w panels or 12 Longi HiMo5 400W panels
is it better to go for 9 higher wattage or 12 lower
also the 9 panels are 2 string and the 12 panels are 1 string
many thanks
I would first answer the same than Binky. go with the configuration that gives you the higher wattage. I mean configuration.
eg if you can fit 10 * 500W panels = 5kWp but if you can fit 14 (because they are smaller and better cover your available area) *400W = 5.6kWp

You should always try to use has many strings as possible. Even if generally string inverters comes with 2 string MPPT you can still be supplied with a 1 string inverter (or worst, the installer put all the panels on the same string.

There are many youtube videos and posts here that explain all this but in a nutshell. The panels are in series on a string, so if you have a panel that fails or get a significant amount of shed compare to the others, then the output will be entirely affected
There are ways to mitigate but I do not want to bombard you with a lot of info at that stage.

So there is no reason why the 12 panels cannot go on two strings

Last edited:

Latest posts