Spur Off Ring

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve100

Reaction score
I have a query around installing a socket outlet spur off a final ring circuit in a domestic installation which isn

Making the socket outlet your spuring off and rcd would offer no protection to the cable or new socket it would only protect the equipment plugged in. Putting a rcd socket on end of spur again would only give protection to equipment used. No protection to supply circuit. I would go for rcbo option but I'd test the ring final first to make sure all is well on original wiring so the rcbo will hold!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread moved. RCD sockets do not protect the cable supplying them, only the accessories plugged into them. Why not just put an RCD in or adjacent to the CU? As it would not be much cost difference to RCD sockets and if you ever have to do further amendments to this circuit you would be creating extra costs for the customer by doing half a job now.

Doc H.

Thanks Guys, I presume, if I wanted to run a spur of the ring to supply an outside fix light, I could install a RCD FCU next to the socket outlet I wanted to run the spur from and then run the cable to the light within the allocated zone and the cable would be protected between the RCD FCU and the light in this example?