Starting Off

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Andy, I'm not saying anyone is wrong or I am right.  I'm not looking to be a full time sparky and only took on the courses so I can do my own property and no one else until I get a bit more experience.

I have put in a lot of class room hours but nothing outside which I think counts for more.  I have started off with the normal route, did a foundation and then did the C&G 2393 which I just passed.  Noway am I finished i still and am doing the 2382 and then the 2392.  So by the time I have finished I would have the knowledge and the hours in a lab but as no real life experience or challenges.   I know the tools that I have used and need but in real life I'm sure there are more tools that you need to do the job.

Yes, but some of the schemes felt that by being rigid with the NVQ3, they would lose members and also felt that the changes were unfair on the guys with some on site experience and a full C&G qualification that they would then need an NVQ3 on top of that.

Andy Guinness

Hi ptaz,

Ive spent the past 3 & a half years doing the college training thats required, (still not finished) so I can probably give you a few pointers.

The courses & qualifications most employers would be looking for are:

City & guilds 2330 level 2                       

City & guilds 2330 level 3     (now called 2365 I think)

NVQ level 3 electrical installation

City & guilds 2382 17th edition

AM2

City & Guilds 2391 Inspection & testing     (now called 2394 & 2395)

This is pretty much the industry standard, to be classed as a qualified electrician, alongside the practical experience.

Also, these are the qualifications that are required for an ECS/JIB gold card, if your wanting to work on building sites.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts