Stroboscopic Effect...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alextrician

Reaction score
hello there.

quick question... to counteract the stroboscopic effect created by fluorescent tubes on moving machineries is good procedures to put the lighting circuits on different phases or to have a different source of light (tungsten filament lamp on a lathe) nearby. the question is: if i put the lighting circuit  and the "lathe" on different phases, will have the effect? just thinking....

this is not a real life situation, just a college assignment

thank you very much 

Pretty sure you dont get that effect from a tungsten lamp. With the change to low energy everywhere does Led suffer from this ?
tungsten lamps are used to counteracts the effect when flourescent tubes are used. another way to counteract the effect is to put the lighting circuits on different phases?  

tungsten lamps are used to counteracts the effect when flourescent tubes are used. another way to counteract the effect is to put the lighting circuits on different phases?  
I think clarification is needed.

You are not trying to put the lights on a different phase to the machine.

You need a lot of flourescent lights and the important bit is with some lights on each phase.

Ideally as you walk down the shop, the lights will be wired first light on 1st phase, second light on phase 2, third light on phase 3 then repeat.

So at each machine, you get some light from a light fitting on each phase. 

I think clarification is needed.

You are not trying to put the lights on a different phase to the machine.

You need a lot of flourescent lights and the important bit is with some lights on each phase.

Ideally as you walk down the shop, the lights will be wired first light on 1st phase, second light on phase 2, third light on phase 3 then repeat.

So at each machine, you get some light from a light fitting on each phase. 
thanx alot. this is what I am gonna do. I 've got three rows of lights and each row contain 9 fluorescent tubes. I am gonna put each row on different phase.

but i was thinking, if theoreticaly  I put all fluorescent tubes on 1 phase and the lathe on different phase will be the same thing???

as I said before this is just a college assignment

Even though this is a possibility, it is actually rare.

For the stroboscopic affect to be seen, the rotating part must be travelling at synchronous speed.

Squirrel cage induction motors do not run at synchronous speed.

A spindle/motor would need to be running at exactly 3krpm.

Due to the requirements of the operation this would be quite rare.

Plus, the operation would require task lighting at the machine which would be fed from the machine, almost certainly 3ph.

Thus via a Tx, thus phase shifted from the supply.

It is a known phenomenon, that MUST be considered, however, it is easy to engineer out.