Stud protection

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparky999

Reaction score
Evening guys,

Been on site today and the foreman has told me that the building inspector has been and has said that where i have drilled down in the studs for sockets and switches.

He has told the foreman that we should put a metal protection on either side of the brace of where we have drilled to stop screws from penertrating the cable where it has gone through the hole.

Has anyone heard of this or do this as standard practice in the 5 years i have done this game i have never been told that.

cheers 4 that

Matt:)

I got told to do the same thing on an extension i was doing , its got boarded an skimmed by the builder before i got chance to find steel plate to put on it , building inspector never mentioned it again.

We have been doing it for some years, don't know if its a Reg or just good practice TBH.

Wholesalers have a steel plate about 3" X 2" with pointed spikes pushed out the back for fixing. As you say , often the plaster board goes on before you can fit them.

Deke

Its not in any rules or regulations that I have!

Only stipulation is RCD protection under the 17th edition.

we use similar on joists where pipes run through them.calling them joist clips.

Cheers guys

I have put them on the floor beams b4 now but never on studs, all cables are in prescribed zones so no need for these as u should b able to follow that up.

If i c him on site i will ask him but no doubt it will plastered by then.

I've used them when I've used notches in joists, but never where the cable is >50mm from the surface finish the floor or wall when it's passing through a joist, stud or noggin..

Ask him to show you the reg!! unless of course the cable is not going through the mid point

I do know that they are readily available but I thought they were designed for giving rigidity to the stud work after a hole was drilled in them? Not to protect the cable.

I know in germany they have used flexible steel conduit for a while now, but its a ****** to work with.

So do Denmans

I only use them if i come across unprotected notches

rcds cover it

does state adequate protection from penetration by nails screws etc

but also uses OR refering to additional rcd protection, earthed conduit etc etc

NHBC insist on them but both myself and the plumber told the builder its up to him to put the plates on the studwork. he also has to put foil tape over the plumbers hep pipes so as they are "detectable" ...geez i think that due to the current job shortages their trying to justify there jobs