submit a part p after the job

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had bricklayers around to build said extension (mentioned above).

They didn't ask to see a copy of my 'building notice', or my receipt from LABC or anything else, for that matter.

They built the extension to my specs, got paid and went on their merry way.

WHY??

Because notification of my extension to LABC was nothing to do with them - that's why. It didn't matter a jot to them whether I'd notified or got permission or not.

I'm the one who would be told to pull it down if I didn't comply.

Just like it's got nothing to do with an electrician, if the customer that asked them to price up a CU change has notified LABC or not - you give the price and do the job - it's the customers responsibilty to notify the work.....unless you are a scheme member.

All this talk of - "You must notify LABC before you start work" is cobblers. The person ordering the work (the home-owner) should notify LABC before work commences.

What I find hard to beleive is the fact that Elesca will allow one (small cu change) as an insight to a DI's competance.Its a small wonder that most local authorities still insist on all contractors to be NICEIC, if this is the case.
So, go with the NICEIC, coz they ask for one major job (a CU change) and one minor job ( addition of lighting point).

Ah, I see what you mean - that makes NICEIC members better electricians!!

Does it matter if you show them one job or two - really?

They're going to ask you the same questions on the second job as they do on the first - so what? - just to double check??

No, one of the requirements issued by the government was that to have a licence to adopt scheme provider status was to fully assess each candidate, this assessment should be of a major electrical installation, and a minor works if two major works can not be provided. This should be as a minimum, knowing that some scheme providers take short cuts just be littles Part P, and goes to show why more and more people chose an easy option.

My opinion entirely.

I agree with what you are saying in principle - but I think the emphasis should be on the assessment itself - not the job/s that you show them.

If the assessor is worth his salt, he'll be able to tell your competence ( or lack of), regardless of what work you show him.

Let's face it, you might not actually have done the job/s that you show him - I'm sure that ones been pulled a few times. :)

In all honesty, in all the time I have been Part P my assesors have never asked me if a job has been notified..

However to do a job, get assessed and then notify it would be against the building regs and the scheme membership T&C's

That is why I always advocate on the spot assessments, and why I agree with AC status methods of assessment.

I have always shown all yearly certificates and asked my assessor to chose which ones he would like to visit. There is no way I will set up a couple for him, which is what looks like happens in more cases than not. You are right, an assessor can make a general assumption on one job, but, I still like to think that two is better than one, and really it should be at least 5.

That is why I always advocate on the spot assessments, and why I agree with AC status methods of assessment.Thats ok for a one man band

What about if the AC is the only one qualified/assessed in a big company ?????? with guys under him who dont know what they are doing.

i have first hand experience of this,,,,,,picking up the pieces..........

I assume you were talking to me, Ian, and not the OP/Actually, I didn't break the law - for two reasons.

Firstly, the house is in my partners name, so it would be her responsibility to notify any work to LABC - not mine, the lowly electrician.

Secondly, like Andy's situation, it is a work in progress - the whole job, kitchen extension & CU, will be signed off via Napit when all the work is complete - I have, by Napit's own rules, 30 days from completion of work to notify the job to them. :)
It wasn't but you may well have done too. You did work knowing full well it was not notified and you had no legal exception to not notify prior to starting of the work. Also it could be argued that if you did not inform them that it needed notification before hand, they will have effectively discharged their responsibility for notification onto you.

I have noticed nearly everyone trys to get round notification before being accepted into a scam and I can not see how this is any different to the hundreds of cowboys who pretend to be registered already.

Only legal way to proceed with non distressed work is not notify to LABC BEFORE you start. Any other methods are not correct and I do not care who is telling you otherwise, they are wrong.

Latest posts