SWA Preparation

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiwiNCFC

Reaction score
Has anyone got a guide on how to do swa cable? I have never done it before and would like to try it:^O

Personally before removing the outer sheath I cut through with a junior hacksaw enough to part cut the armour, then I strip the sheath and bend back & forward the armour (it snaps off very easily), then I cut the sheath to expose the required amount of armour for the gland, trim back the bedding and hook up the gland...

Oh yeh,, fit the shroud before exposing the armour!!!

The hacksaw method was the one I learnt, found it better than using side cutters (they will last longer too) only really use the guide to remind me what order the gland goes together after I left it at the bottom of my toolbox in peices.

There probably are better guides out there...

Guinness

I tried the side cutter method once, wasn;t happy at all. PITA to cut neatly and make a decent job, much quicker and easier with a hacksaw. Also, my side cutters will struggle with a lot of the SWA I work with. The side cutters method is only really any good for anything up to 4mm, so really it's a half arsed 5 week wonder\DI type method. Anyone who is an actual electrician will prefer the hacksaw method.

I partially cut through with the hack saw, then without stripping the outer sheath, I bend the cable back and forth untill the wire breaks.

I've tried the tool, and found it takes longer, and I wonder how long the blade will last.

I partially cut through with the hack saw, then without stripping the outer sheath, I bend the cable back and forth untill the wire breaks.I've tried the tool, and found it takes longer, and I wonder how long the blade will last.
Then you could not have been using it right as its very quick.

Me too. Creates a good start - but still felt I needed to go over th cut with a hacksaw to get a clean break on the sheath. Overall though it has saved a lot of time.