Switch And Ip Address

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well, when I plug my switch in i get another ip address on my router,  :C

thats why I got confused, I thought it was just a like a 4gang extension lead,,,,,,

Explain more please. What gear you got and what is connected to what.

If a device cannot obtain an ip it will have something like 169.254.x.x can't remember the last 2 bits.

ah, I think I may have sort of sorted it now, maybe, seems one of the PCs has a wireless card and was obtaining a different ip for that as well once i plugged the cable in,,,,    :C

Im just trying to label up all my IP's/MAC's so once I get my new router I can MAC lock them into the home network and all others will be guest.

still trying to get the router to 'forget' the satellite box ip when I unplug it, just to confirm it is the actual sat box and not something else.....

I have a  zynex GS-105a switch , connected [at present] to a huawei HG533 router [piece of crap] ,

running, 2x pc [cabled] 1x laptop [wifi] 3xtablet [wifi] 2xphone [wifi] , 1 x satellite box [cabled] 1 xTV [cabled] 1 x Wii [wifi] 1x DVR [cabled]

Mr Steps, may I recommend a loverly little program called Advanced IP Scanner.

It will scan your network and list all active IP addreses, including make and manufacturer of the item using the IP.

When I use it on my network, Sky Box comes up as Sky HD.

http://www.advanced-ip-scanner.com

*Edit* Just incase, I am no way connected with the software publishers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mr Steps, may I recommend a loverly little program called Advanced IP Scanner.

It will scan your network and list all active IP addreses, including make and manufacturer of the item using the IP.

When I use it on my network, Sky Box comes up as Sky HD.

http://www.advanced-ip-scanner.com

*Edit* Just incase, I am no way connected with the software publishers.
that seems a very good programme for the likes of me Mr Toon, the PC illiterate

unfortunately, its a windows .exe   :(

I use Linux,

I think I have it sorted now, by unplugging absolutely everything, and rebooting the router everytime I plug something new in,

then unplugging one thing at a time and rebooting again each time to double check what each item is.

As you have found out, each interface (cable, wifi) of a device will obtain an IP if connected. At present it sounds like your network is using DHCP to issue IP's. This will be done by your router. You can, if you wish set static IP's on the devices (give me shout if you need a hand with that).

On a side note, MAC addresses are hard coded (well, not completely true) into the device interface and as such always stay the same.

Some switches have IP addresses but unusually there for office use.

If you've got an android phone try an app called Fling, it will show all devices on the network I'd imagine similar to Advanced IP Scanner.