Testing experience

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jc1996

Reaction score
Hi guys not sure if this is the right place to post so sorry if it’s not.

I’m wondering if anyone can help. I currently work in industrial maintenance but am looking to get more testing experience as I completed the 2391 and 2392 back in July 2017 and due to the limited amount of testing I do I’d like to gain some more experience (evening weekend preferably, however can take holiday to suit). I’m a keen learner and want to learn (I understand this is probably heard alot) but I genuinely want to learn. I’m not looking to be paid just want to get a better understanding of testing and certification. 

Jack

Have you tested your own house? That of your relatives, even friends? 
do you not test anything at work? 

certification is fairly straightforward, what do you struggle with? 

Well I do test but it’s only like for like and mainly motor circuits. Only ever filled out one full installation certificate for my exam but other than that haven’t touched one since. It’s definitely something I want to be able to do but it’s hard trying to get the experience as I never carry out new installations. 

New installations are ok for base experience as the results should all be within BS7671 tolerances. But to actually learn the meaning of testing then you really need to do some EICR’s, as. suggested to your own home, family etc. This is where you are likely to get varying results which will test your knowledge and skills as you will have to establish what the  integrity of the circuit are by interpretation of the results attained. This is when you learn meaningful testing. 

Thank you sharpend, well I’ve just brought a place so I’m sure I can have fun testing that. Think alot of it is a confidence thing and filling out the forms.