Three advantages of using circuit breakers over semi-enclosed fuses

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
is a semi enclosed a rewirable fuse?

sorry for answering a Q with one ;)

resettable?

smaller cpc's?

don't know embarrassed smiley

Advantages of mcb's:

1. Cannot be reset without clearing the fault

2. Cannot be fused with the wrong rated fuse-wire.

3. Faster tripping times or something similar. There is a fusing factor you need to apply to calculations when using re-wireables but it's late and i'm a teeny bit drunk!

:)

Advantages of mcb's:1. Cannot be reset without clearing the fault

2. Cannot be fused with the wrong rated fuse-wire.

3. Faster tripping times or something similar. There is a fusing factor you need to apply to calculations when using re-wireables but it's late and i'm a teeny bit drunk!

:)
Yes, I think the factor is 0.725 or something like that!

Thank you Mr Sworld. Guiness Drink

Three other advantages

1. Mcb's easier to purchase as rewireables are not used very often.

2. Mcb consumer units usually can be workerd on live were as fuseboxes need turning of before handling fuses.

3. Most mcb consumer units generally are easier to work on as they have more space than fuseboxes.

batty

Three other advantages1. Mcb's easier to purchase as rewireables are not used very often.

2. Mcb consumer units usually can be workerd on live were as fuseboxes need turning of before handling fuses.

3. Most mcb consumer units generally are easier to work on as they have more space than fuseboxes.

batty
Sorry but you can still buy fuse-wire at corner shops.

Personally, I like removable fuses as you can remove the fuse and put it in you pocket (you have to 'lock-off' mcb's) and I never turn off a board to remove one fuse.

Fuseboard sizing is based on the size of the fuseboard......... The Glasgow range of fuse-boards are huge, plenty of room to work in one. Some mcb based CU's (Proteus for example are complete rubbish and awful to work with).

while you're still around gents, what colour is a 6A type B to BS EN 60898?

Mr sworld

I was only talking generally. If you are working in a Wylex fuseboard you have to remove all fuses to get the lid off. Generally rewireable fuses, if you go into your wholesalers they will not keep rewireable fuses on the shelf.

batty

Nat:

That`s an MCB. It doesn`t have a particular colour attached to it.

If its carrying PSCC, it`ll be bright red, quickly changing to black.

If it isn`t there, it`ll be invisible colour.

If it`s on a shelf somewhere, it`ll be dusty coloured.

Serious for a min - white is the usual colour code of 5/6A devices (when they ARE colour coded)

HTH

Nat:That`s an MCB. It doesn`t have a particular colour attached to it.

Serious for a min - white is the usual colour code of 5/6A devices (when they ARE colour coded)

HTH
ah ****** beat me by a nano second

Mr sworldI was only talking generally. If you are working in a Wylex fuseboard you have to remove all fuses to get the lid off. Generally rewireable fuses, if you go into your wholesalers they will not keep rewireable fuses on the shelf.

batty
I know a few 'one-man band' wholesalers who still stock wylexs! However I replace them with mcb upgrades nowadays!

Working live is bad practice not to mention having to upgrade all your tools to 'live use' versions. Electricians tools are generally designed for dead working, the live working tools are very expensive!. And you should ALWAYS have two people present when live working.

Although in domestic situations mcb's are now commonplace and safer, fuses are still a major part of industrial work. Google BS88 and see how many hits you get!

Anyhow, I'm also off to sleep. It's been a busy day. If you watch the news and see some 'political conference' shots I'm the technician in the background looking harassed and knackered! :^O

Yes, I think the factor is 0.725 or something like that!

Correct. :)

Can someone tell me them???
1) Now wheres did I put that fuse wire??? :(

2) WHERES THE RUDDY FUSE WIRE!!!! :_| :_| :_|

3) WHY ISN'T THERE ANY 5AMP WIRE ON THIS REPLACEMENT FUSE WIRE CARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!X(X(X(X( X( :_| :_| :_| :_|

;) ; ) :^O :^O:^O

Three other advantages1. Mcb's easier to purchase as rewireables are not used very often.

batty
The original question looked to be from an exam or course work. None of these points would be acceptable, although a good talking point.

The vast majority of 6A breakers are grey coloured :^O :^O:^O

The same as 10, 16, 32, 40, 45 and 63A ;)

The original question looked to be from an exam or course work. None of these points would be acceptable, although a good talking point.The vast majority of 6A breakers are grey coloured :^O :^O:^O

The same as 10, 16, 32, 40, 45 and 63A ;)
Evening slipshod! ;)

I would concur entirely with your points...

I am sure I can remember in the dim distant past have a question similar to this! ?:| :|

and indeed....

grey, grey, grey and grey!!:OApplaud Smiley:^O:^O

Nat:That`s an MCB. It doesn`t have a particular colour attached to it.

HTH
I thought it was a trick question, that I read in an assessment! :^O