three phase welder? help please

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musicspark

Reaction score
Hi chaps

I was asked to do some PA testing in a local garage today and have com away

with a few questions.

there was a bench drill on a stand, when I opened the plug there was no Neutral connected (three core and earth). would an appliance this small normally have a delta motor?

Secondly there was an old ARC welder with a Three Phase plug which was wired with two core and earth L, N ,and E. I am new to the trade and have not come across this before. Help?????

The last question is of a more basic nature; single phase mig welder needs a new flex. What kind of cable would be good for that appliance, in that environment -heat, oil, etc?

The drill does not require a Neutral, as it is obviously 3 phase.

3 phase motors generally use less current to do the same as a single phase motor.

I don't know what you mean by a delta motor?

i would imagine that the 3 phase plug was used either because the socket was existing.

It could be that an old welder was 3 phase, and they couldn't be asked to provide a new circuit. It could be that they didn't want to lose the 3 phase socket, could be used for other equipment, or they might in future obtaian a 3 phase welder.

Could use an Artic cable, or perhaps SY? I would consider how cold the workshop could be during the winter, and choose a suitable cable.

Hi chapsI was asked to do some PA testing in a local garage today and have com away

with a few questions.

there was a bench drill on a stand, when I opened the plug there was no Neutral connected (three core and earth). would an appliance this small normally have a delta motor? More likely to be "star" connected with no neutral- no probs

Secondly there was an old ARC welder with a Three Phase plug which was wired with two core and earth L, N ,and E. I am new to the trade and have not come across this before. Help?????it is ok to wire a single phase welder into a 3-phase plug by using one of the phases and ignoring the other two- no probs

The last question is of a more basic nature; single phase mig welder needs a new flex. What kind of cable would be good for that appliance, in that environment -heat, oil, etc?not sure on that one:O i guess a butyl type flex perhaps?

I figured 1.5 butyl or 2.5 arctic but the the one that's on it is black.

Is SY suitable to use as flex on portable equipment?

I figured 1.5 butyl or 2.5 arctic but the the one that's on it is black. Is SY suitable to use as flex on portable equipment?
For future reference there's only a need to ask each question once ;)

Thanks for the tip Apache, and Godfather - I like your sense of humour!

Forgive me guys I'm not completely familiar with all the etiquette yet for this forum but I won't be offended if you keep me right.

Thanks for the tip Apache, and Godfather - I like your sense of humour!Forgive me guys I'm not completely familiar with all the etiquette yet for this forum but I won't be offended if you keep me right.
My boys are pleased.

As for this forum, it is friendly and helpful, no abuse allowed.

Don

abuse is
banned-1.gif
on here :^O

My boys are pleased.As for this forum, it is friendly and helpful, no abuse allowed.

Don
Hey,,,,,,Don

I never abuse nobody,,,,,,,,,, Respect,,,,,,,respect