Tool boxes and contents

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Voltimax

©CAHAGIYTYHE™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm bored, lol

I was wondering what sort of tool boxes you chaps prefer and what type of tools etc you carry in them? I have had many types of tool box but have never found the all rounder.

Me neither, that's why I have loads and buy new ones seemingly every other week. I have a CK technicians case for day to day stuff and then loads of other tote trays\cantilever metal\plastic boxes\chests of varying sizes and construction. Now that most DIY stores etc... seem to hold less stock and range of this sort of stuff nowadays I think I can safely say I have a better collection than Wickes. ;)

I have a tough ,plastic one with the removable tray in the top . Tray has connecting tools , section for drill bits. I always try to keep the number of tools at the minimum to keep the weight down. I have more boxes in the van, one for all the spanners and pipe grips, one with all the tank cutters , one with the drill bits. The van is racked out (courtesy of BT) so hacksaw,lump hammer ,torch, ext. leads etc are clipped to the rack.

A subject I can comment on, I have had many many tool boxs everything from cantilever to 6 tray chests .

One of the best plastic ones I have had is an Irwin its tough and rugged and built to last, has large capacity base with a decent size tote, with 2 small sections in the lid for little bits and bobs. 10 out of 10 for me. The early advert for this box was a Mercedes sprinter parked on top of 4 of these boxes.

But for a small kit to take everywhere and do most things I think youd be hard pushed to beat a tool bag .

http://fwb.co.uk/mall/productpage.cfm/FWBGroup/021SZD/63693

http://www.fwb.co.uk/mall/productpage.cfm/FWBGroup/009ZTS/63696

As for tools well thats a whole differant conversation altogether ]:) ] :)

Stanley FatMax 28" long very wide and deep even has room for my 'box of tricks' ie assorted fixings etc.... Downside is it can be quite heavy but usually only need the box and a cordless.

A stanley box with tote tray and I also use a tool belt which is handy when 2nd fixing especially when you are up and down stepladders . You always have your cutters ,terminal screwdriver and other bits and pieces like green/yellow sleeving and tape ;)

I also use a tool belt which is handy when 2nd fixing especially when you are up and down stepladders . You always have your cutters ,terminal screwdriver and other bits and pieces like green/yellow sleeving and tape ;)
I've got some Snickers trousers with loads of flappy bits and pockets everywhere. Lot more handier than a tool belt and not as uncomfortable.

DSCF0433.jpg

As I said I got a few tools Blushing and thats just my main bit of everything tool kit ......... I have 4 other boxes as well Blushing.

But I wouldnt advise one of these for everyday use ...... unless you like to pump alot of iron ROTFWL ROTFWL ROTFWL when I moved it took 2 people to put it on the lorry

Sometimes this forum is too tempting. Just found myself looking at new roller cabinets because of this thread!

Sometimes this forum is too tempting. Just found myself looking at new roller cabinets because of this thread!
It wasnt me Pray;) :coat

I have found that Draper one to be good quality so far and was a decent price , when I was looking at them I was tempted to go for a machine mart one.

It wasnt me Pray;) :coat I have found that Draper one to be good quality so far and was a decent price , when I was looking at them I was tempted to go for a machine mart one.
I have the machine mart one. seems decent! I will have to join in with this thread tomorrow! :D

Stanley jobbie annoying thing metal handles fall off and its full of heavy tools so really to heavy to carry but when you are doing a job you don't want to have to keep going to your van for tools.

Me neither, that's why I have loads and buy new ones seemingly every other week. I have a CK technicians case for day to day stuff and then loads of other tote trays\cantilever metal\plastic boxes\chests of varying sizes and construction. Now that most DIY stores etc... seem to hold less stock and range of this sort of stuff nowadays I think I can safely say I have a better collection than Wickes. ;)
Well come on Lurch, that would be too hard to do:^O

First - I would like to confess to having a 'tool problem'. I have taken pictures of my electrical and plumbing boxes and my steel Machine Mart cabinet.

I have various electrical and plumbing spares stashed about.

Electrical Box

Came as a B&Q own brand, like the compartments in the lid, the box is properly full and I could do with a bigger one.

electrical3.jpg

electrical2.jpg

electrical1.jpg

I have some cheap 2nd hand testers but they are buried in another box.

Plumbing Box

This was a Stanley roller box with a separate box on the top that comes away. I have used this top box for the plumbing gear. It is also full. Must weigh over 20kg!

plumbing3.jpg

plumbing2.jpg

plumbing1.jpg

This is my messy roller tool box. Draws for screwdrivers, pliers & cutters, hammers and mallets, rasps and files, spanners, H&S, sanding gear and some random little bits. I tried opening a few draws to show contents and it just looks messy now!

IMG00018-20100207-1534.jpg

(to the left is my lathe on its bench and the canister vacc/dust extractor with hose)

One day when I have tidied up I will do a full workshop tour :D

Pache I feel sick now :_| , Im a college student on my path to be an electrician and you have more/better tools than me :_| :_| :_|

Pache I feel sick now :_| , Im a college student on my path to be an electrician and you have more/better tools than me :_| :_| :_|
Sorry :|

Maybe answered by the fact I am employed and can afford a few tools when I need them? Especially when I find out here how to do things and save those exorbitant electricians fees.................

;)