tree sap on paint.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, had a spare hour today, so whipped roof bars off and took van to one of those big car wash machines -  has removed quite a bit of the loose dirt, but no banana.

Not sure what to try next, but I have a pack of Anchor to hand...

Have it any Brasso? Very good for sticky residues.  

I would suggest smooth peanut butter but then remembered that's for bringing the black plastic trims back to new!!!

not had Brasso for years. I do have a bottle of PVC window frame cleaner that might do the job - basically it's a fine abrasive. I also think I have a tube of White T-cut stuff I've used to clean up old vans before. But I am intirgued by butter, it kind of makes sense, something that gently softens the tree sap and doesn't evaporate quickly. Think we might need warmer weather though.

this is the best advice so far, plenty other brands available. A Valet pro product in 5L might be more suitable for the van (chemical guys stuff might be wasted on your van, it is high end and little bottles dont go far on a mucky old van).

I get my products from these guys

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/index.php

You need to remove the contaminants. You want to do this without causing too much damage to the paintwork. If you do create mild scratches/swirl marks (your van is most likely covered in them anyway unless you have had your paintwork corrected) then you can polish them out to correct them (with a product like the G3 as shown above). Clay bar might worth doing.

After you decontaminate the van, strip the old wax/sealant off ( i doubt you have any), with clay bar, could have a light hand polish. Then seal the paintwork to protect it. Sealed paint work is easier to keep clean.  I use a synthetic sealer (Sonax NPT) which still has water beading after 6 months of aplication. I have been using it for 3 years now.  A wax will give you a glossier look but its protection will not last as long.

Chek out Larry NYC videos, he is fantastic.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/index.php

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts