Tv/cctv modulators

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was ordering some kit today & i had a thought, which i asked the tech dept, Will a digital (or analog) modulator work once the analog signals are switched off (in London it will be 12 April 12) They replied no, we're working on that !!

At first i thought great, loads of work. Then thinking about it on the way home why would they not work on present Tv's, Although no analog broadcast signals will be received the Tv will still receive the modulator signal.

All new Tv's from next year (or sooner) will more than likely have only digital receivers and those will not be able to receive a modulator signal but they all have other inputs now so it must be easy to convert/adapt the cctv output to suit ?

We have just started a 7 bed, 7 bath house full fit out & included in the works is CCTV, aerials, sky +, foreign sat & door entry.

Now my thoughts are as analog signals will be gone by mid 2012 the new Tv's coming out will not have an analog tuner in them. So how will you distribute the CCTV signal around the house ? Most CCTV/DVR have internet capability but householders still want the CCTV on the Tv's. The so called 'digital' RF modulators are putting out a analog signal so they will be no good.

My only thought at the moment is to run a separate coax cable from the cctv/dvr to each Tv, which will carry a composite signal and plug into the phono input on every Tv. If audio is also needed yet another cable. Any other ideas ?

Slips,

I've just fitted a similar system to my house. Labgear modulator next to the DVR fed to a labgear distribution system in the loft. As I'm generating the analog signal from the composite CCTV output myselt, it doesn't really matter when they turn off the terestrial analog TV signals. Like you said, the main problem will be ensuring the TV's have both digital and analog tuners.

Still not found anything near future proof. All the techies i have spoke to say nothing to worry about for a while as all add on stuff like sky +, game boys etc use an analog signal to send pictures so the analog tuner wont be dropped for a while.

What about the Internet ready tv? If you have an ip based CCTV system this should work,

the way i send the cctv signal to a tv is through the av input (yellow phono) but if going to many tvs, get a video amp with bnc inputs/connections (like mine) ;) and distribute the av signal to all tvs on coax from the amp to each tv's video phono yellow connection. jobs a goodun.

You can get a 'digital modulator' that will convert a composite video signal into a 'digital signal' that can be picked up on a standard freeview box ...... not cheap though..... expect to pay around