Two Parallel T&e Cables

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been asked to advise on a cooker upgrade at our sailing club.

Presently there's a separate hob and oven, each with their own radial circuit in 6mm t&e

One of the options under consideration, is an all electric range cooker.

Now they haven't chosen one yet, but in all probability, the rating of an all electric range will be too much for the existing 6mm cable.

So before I can advise them, can anyone see an issue, using BOTH of the existing 6mm cables and connecting them in parallel to make one suitably rated circuit for the range cooker?

Appendix 10 has informative guidance for conductors in parallel. Two conductors of equal CSA and near equal length will be carrying near equal currents, but key point you need to consider is what protective device rating you will be using and verify that a short circuit in the one cable will cause the protective device to operate satisfactorily. If cables are of different CSA or length then you get into the realms of individual protective devices.

Doc H

Last edited by a moderator:
And must be the same length.

I contacted a Range manufacturer last year because the instruction booklet called for 10mm², however this was a replacement cooker and the owner had been told a 6mm² was fine. On calling the guy he said yes its fine on a 6mm² taking into account diversity its doubtful that all rings and ovens will be on together and at worse the mcb would blow. It was a 6mm² on a 32A, they have never call to say the mcb has tripped.

They are the same CSA and both originate from the same DB and end up at the moment in adjacent DP isolating switches. So it's fair to assume they are run together. Will obviously test to verify they are of similar length.

I've usually put them on 40A even though the ratings something ridiculous, although these have been in people's houses and for show rather than serious cooking.

check manufacturers site
Go to www.delonghi.co.uk

Search for "DTC95E"

"0 products found" headbang headbang

Some customer support that is then. Although it bears the Delonghi name, they deny all knowledge of it.

I'll just wait until they get it and rtfm to see what it's rating is.

Thanks. So why isn't that on Delonghi's website?

BUT it still doesn't tell me the bloody rating.

Burried throughout the instructions is the individual rating of each element, so I could add it up, but you would have thought there was a specification section telling you.
Also states 3 X 6.00mm² and diversity should should be worked out by a professional, but higher up says no diversity.

Not for commercial use also.

Go to www.delonghi.co.uk

Search for "DTC95E"

"0 products found" headbang headbang

Some customer support that is then. Although it bears the Delonghi name, they deny all knowledge of it.

I'll just wait until they get it and rtfm to see what it's rating is.
that's handy then :slap

http://www.buyspares...or/8/dtc95e.pdf

had a look at this link, by 3 * 6mm I think they mean between the connections for the incoming Line conductor terminals - our Euro buddies seem to like 2 and 3 phase systems, and terminals are also for commercial, but got the feeling it was poorly explined as per normal. So in short it sounds like 6 mm feed cable would probably be fine, but seeing as you have 2 cables, you might as well use them. as long as MCB is correct then it can only trip out if overloaded. Bet if you put it on 40A MCB, it never trips :pray if you look at diversity tables (I'm doing this from memory) then cooker ccts only rate 10A, 15A with socket. ie run at about 1/3rd continuous. On 40A that would give you 120A (so you've blown your main fuse :innocent ) or 27.6 Kw at 230V (rough numbers) think that's a bit larger than the hob and oven :) . 40A gives a good 9-10 Kw. Which pretty much everything on full whack from what I can see in the manual

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.buyspares...or/8/dtc95e.pdf

had a look at this link, by 3 * 6mm I think they mean between the connections for the incoming Line conductor terminals - our Euro buddies seem to like 2 and 3 phase systems, and terminals are also for commercial, but got the feeling it was poorly explined as per normal. So in short it sounds like 6 mm feed cable would probably be fine, but seeing as you have 2 cables, you might as well use them. as long as MCB is correct then it can only trip out if overloaded. Bet if you put it on 40A MCB, it never trips :pray if you look at diversity tables (I'm doing this from memory) then cooker ccts only rate 10A, 15A with socket. ie run at about 1/3rd continuous. On 40A that would give you 120A (so you've blown your main fuse :innocent ) or 27.6 Kw at 230V (rough numbers) think that's a bit larger than the hob and oven :) . 40A gives a good 9-10 Kw. Which pretty much everything on full whack
Binky, bottom of page 2 seems to say different :innocent