UK AC Voltage too high?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Creakyride

Reaction score
Since I had a EV home charger installed, I have been able to monitor the voltage to the charger through the supplied App.

The voltage averages to 246V but often gets up to 249 -250.

Is this normal?

My LG LCD TV screen failed 3 times in 3 years and wondering if this could be related to higher voltage than the 240V rating.
Recently, my outdoor LED 10W light has failed also. The thing is, the replacement light that I am considering buying is rated 230-240v. I never seen an electrical device showing the actual voltage limit that it can operate to before failing, so making an informative purchase is impossible. I don't mind paying more for a reliable product , made for the UK market.

Thanks Andy.
Wow, I wonder how many appliances will fail to work at these voltages!
Maybe it should be mandatory for manufactures to specify the ACTUAL maximum rated limit of the appliance.

Can a voltage conditioner be installed within a consumer unit?
Is there such a thing available in the market I wonder.

One of the biggest lies was when our mains voltage went from 240V to 230V

Oh no it didn't. The allowable range changes to set a new lower limit, but then not much, if anything changed in practice.

One of the biggest lies was when our mains voltage went from 240V to 230V

Oh no it didn't. The allowable range changes to set a new lower limit, but then not much, if anything changed in practice.
Well it opened the door to lots of unscrupulous importers who sell 220 volt gear assuming people will think "that's near enough 230."

Since I had a EV home charger installed, I have been able to monitor the voltage to the charger through the supplied App.

Is this normal?

My LG LCD TV screen failed 3 times in 3 years and wondering if this could be related to higher voltage than the 240V rating.
Recently, my outdoor LED 10W light has failed also. The thing is, the replacement light that I am considering buying is rated 230-240v. I never seen an electrical device showing the actual voltage limit that it can operate to before failing, so making an informative purchase is impossible. I don't mind paying more for a reliable product , made for the UK market.

Appendix 2 of BS7671 (wiring regs), page 408, gives guidance regarding the harmonisation of low voltage supplies within Europe..
(ref CENELEC Document HD 472)

which states:-
Pre-1995, Nominal: 240v, Tolerance: +6% / -6%, Range: 225.6v - 254.4v
From 1 Jan 1995, Nominal: 230v, Tolerance: +10% / -6%, Range: 216.2 - 253.0v

So, yes your voltages are perfectly normal..
and manufactures should be aware of the voltage range applicable in the countries where they sell their products.

To my knowledge manufactures never quote a Min or Max value.. just nominal.

Averages can be misleading over what period is the 246v average measured as there could have been some significant peaks in excess of 253v in that period which could cause problems with some appliances

Latest posts