Under cabinet lighting help

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Fox

Reaction score
Hello all,

Been to look at the under cabinet lighting problem I mentioned previosly today (notifiable or not thread) 1 light was charred and the rest come on and go off. Replaced the transformer and all seems to work now but the light fittings are falling apart and I need to replace the burnt one. But I can't find them anywhere but customer really wants the same lights (don't know why they have only lasted 2 years). I've found the manufacturer in China and was wondering if anyone knew of a UK supplier for them. The link below is to chineese companies product page.

http://www.rise-lighting.com/prodp364.html

Thanks guys

Surely if its a like for like its not notifiable unless its in a kitchen where-maybe I have got it wrong-all work is notifiable.

like for like is non-notifiable, regardless of location
I agree.

Can't see what's particularly special about the cabinet lights in the link? You should be able to get something similar to that in any UK wholesalers I would have thought?

Thanks for the replies guys, I now know its not notifiable from the previous thread. I can get some pretty much the same quite easily but customer really wants exactly the same for some reason and wants me to try and find them!!

Thanks for the replies guys, I now know its not notifiable from the previous thread. I can get some pretty much the same quite easily but customer really wants exactly the same for some reason and wants me to try and find them!!
tell the customer that you cant easily get hold of them, if she insists, tell her she will be paying for your time searching for them, which could take hours/days

Might be worth pointing out that "exactly the same" product could burn out again :_|

Incidentally a common cause for this is damage is poor connections when it was assembled at the factory by the low paid workers :|

Not quite right then I suppose you can go and replace them in another 2 years time, regular work though.

Batty

Don't get drawn down the path of trying to locate stuff like that, as above , tell them its your time they are paying for, tends to focus the mind I find. A mate of mine gets drawn into these things all the time, spends hours faffing around for people , turns up with some lights, " Ooo we don't like those" off he goes again. He thinks he is giving a service but its going too far. It costs him a fortune, when he should be onto the next job.

Don't get drawn down the path of trying to locate stuff like that, as above , tell them its your time they are paying for, tends to focus the mind I find. A mate of mine gets drawn into these things all the time, spends hours faffing around for people , turns up with some lights, " Ooo we don't like those" off he goes again. He thinks he is giving a service but its going too far. It costs him a fortune, when he should be onto the next job.
I get asked to look at appliances it takes you ages of time to find the part. Tell them they would be better of buying a new one. I had this when I first started, chap had cooker hood motor had gone would cost more to replace motor than the cost of the whole thing.

Batty

Not quite right then I suppose you can go and replace them in another 2 years time, regular work though.Batty
However if next time there's a fire it will be your name on the cert :eek: