Universe's highest electric current found 10^18 Amps

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MajorOak

Reaction score
Just saw this on the web

A COSMIC jet 2 billion light years away is carrying the highest electric current ever seen: 10^18 amps, equivalent to a trillion bolts of lightning.
Wonder what size conductor you would need to carry it without causing a fire at 70oC?

mg21028174.900-1_300.jpg

The team thinks magnetic fields from a colossal black hole at the galaxy's core are generating the current, which is powerful enough to light up the jet and drive it through interstellar gases out to a distance of about 150,000 light years
---------- Post Auto-Merged at 16:01 ---------- Previous post was made at 15:13 ----------

I maybe out by a magnitude or 2? But calculating the size of the conductor with a current density of 4.02A/mm2 approx , it would need to be 2.5^17 mm2, 25 meters of it would weigh 100 million million tonnes.

At

majoroak,

352miles in diameter, but what when the suns shining and the cable is insulated in a meteor shower, more like 704miles in diameter!

Is it equal to Badger's Christmas lights though.
25 metres long and 563 Kilometres in diameter, sounds about right!!

The house will probably be in constant shadow so the lights would be handy and it will be easy for Santa :Welcome: to find his house.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 20:44 ---------- Previous post was made at 20:27 ----------

I have been having a think about this, what is or "watts" the voltage?? New Scientist never said!!??

Ok at 240 volts the wattage would be 24,000,000,000,000,000,000 watts. But if we increased the voltage to 330kV it would only be 72,727,272,727,273 Amps I think badger could save a significant amount of copper.

at 4.02Amps/mm2 it would mean we could reduce the cable to 18,091,361,374,943mm2 cable. Giving us a diameter of only 3 miles, that is some saving!!

Having said that, the voltage could be billions upon billions of volts, in that case I am off for a few pints of Stella she makes it all better and stops me thinking!!

Major, the voltage from what you describe is so enormous it will travelling through space without the aid of wires .
You are right Deke the voltage must be astronomical!!

I think someone needs some special tome with the wife! Clearly you have run out of things to do :cool: