Van CCTV

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wozz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last night some ******* decide to throw a stone through my van window and take from what I can gather so far a pen and maybe a pencil X(

They wouldnt get to tools easily as there is two steel bulkheads additional deadlocks and a brick wall in the way.

Autowindscreens at my house two days in a row now as they were here yesterday doing the windscreen after a crack!

So I know want a camera pointed on the van, I park in a row of spaces usually in the one closest to my house sometimes to or three cars down, so im after a cheap as possible setup, so get a reasonable image.

Can i mount the camera inside my house (window cill) so it cant be seen from outside and easily adjusted if I park a bit further up (rare)?

Nothing fancy as i want to move possibly later in the year and will then look at something a bit more substantial.

Thanks alot for any input.

What I would do is get a 2 way alarm fitted to the van, with break glass sensors and sensors on the doors, when someone breaks into one of the doors or glass the alarm fob alerts you, great bit of kit,

Havnt got a alarm, house is quite secure and will be alot better once I have anti snap barrels.

I will consider a two way alarm more chance of me catching the ****ers that way.

Thanks for the input.

me personally id go with a night vision ir camera in hosuing focussed onto the van area, mounted on the house, make the camera as big as possible so that the scum bags no they ar being recorded and put signs etc on the van windows and the house, the thing to the camera is you can always take all the kit with you,

id like to have have night vision IR camera but can they be pointed through a double glazed window? Im assuming yes?

The van itself is probably within Wifi range so thats another option.

We use ir cams at work an windscreens act like a mirror

. So you may not be able to see through glass in ir. Have u thought about wifi web cams..if you get ip type you can monitor with your phone...

We use ir cams at work an windscreens act like a mirror. So you may not be able to see through glass in ir. Have u thought about wifi web cams..if you get ip type you can monitor with your phone...
that was my fear i can mount it outside just not a preferred option but im hoping not to sell my house (im hoping to rent it) so shouldnt really care what impression it gives.

I shall have a look at the IP type. Although I dont have a static IP which makes it a problem i think. Almost all the cheap dvrs have networking and remote viewing. Will have some links for you guys to look at shortly.

wozz what about putting camera by the soffit boards and routing cable thru the loft psus etc can be in loft and dvr in upstairs riim, in cupboard clip the coax inside cupboard job done.

if its within WiFi range then go for the 400V deterrentWhoever causes damage will be lying on the floor in the morning (or in the hospital with burn marks) :slap
Along with the dogs who decided to cock their leg on the van, cats who may jump on it Oh yes as well as any innocent passer bys, not a good idea i think as he parks it in the street canoeboy

Last edited by a moderator:
more the look from outside a camera pointing at the cars makes it look like something has happened.

this is about the cheapest i have found: avtech dvr, Digital Video Recorders. Surveillance equipment, Security Camera, Security cameras, cctv, Surveillance camera, avtech dvr, Surveillance cameras, DVR, Video surveillance, cctv camera, Video surveillance camera, Video surveillance cameras and Dual Ring CCTV Camera

either of them any good? I know nothing about cctv but i did read a book on it once a kind forum member sent me.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 21:11 ---------- Previous post was made at 21:09 ----------

if its within WiFi range then go for the 400V deterrentWhoever causes damage will be lying on the floor in the morning (or in the hospital with burn marks) :slap
I may need a circuit from next door and hope they are on a different phase to achieve that :D

ive used henrys cctv before but not the second supplier, so cant comment on the camera, although the specs look ok for the money, dvr wise its a cheap dvr end of but its better than a vcr unit.

Thankyou for the input thus far chaps. Ive made a decision to invest in a two way alarm from viper. Expensive but it will fill me with confidence and I plan to keep this van forever. Also I work away two days a week and this will be of use there too. I cannot believe that a CAT1 alarm doesnt reduce your insurance!

As far as CCTV goes, I want it for the house as much as the van, I plan to move this / next year so a cheap system will do, Ive been looking a getting a cheapo DVR (as this will be upgraded if/when I move) and getting a better camera? Will this work? Or is image quality dictated by the DVR rather than the camera?

Cheers

the dvr will only record a good quality so far, but the camera is feeding the decent image to start with, so its both, you need a good quality camera and a good quality dvr to be able to record the best image if that makes sense.

Ahh, good old Henrys radio on the Edgware Rd. The sole remainder of literally hundreds of electronic parts shops that covered the area. Years ago i could spend a whole day in that area shifting through all the stuff, some shops like auto jumbles & all with knowledgeable staff . Back to the present day Henrys is still a bit like that & that kit looks average. I have fitted 4 Swann kits this month. Fantastic value at

Just had an ad from maplins, normally not cheap...but sale item dvr and 1 night vision cam reduced to