Ways of making Lutron brighter - LED or Halogen?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bla5ter064

Reaction score
Hi gents,

My client has a Lutron dimmable circuit installed on the premises, all the bulbs are Halogen 50W GU5.3 12v.

The lighting across the flat being a bit dark and yellowish, my client wishes to replace the Halogen bulbs by LED ones, with better LUM output. Say, going for 8W 12V LED bulbs which are rated as equivalent to 50W halogen. Is this technically feasible and would the LED be brighter than the halogen then?

Or, another option is to raise the wattage and replace all the circuits with 80W halogen bulbs, but would this put an extra load on the Lutron or danage teh transformers?

The whole think is get more light output without replacing the Lutron circuits.

Erm.. you need to start looking at the "Lumens" and "Kelvin" ratings of existing lamps -vs- proposed new lamps to assess the difference in light output and light colour..

Trying to use "Watts" as a light output level is about as daft as me trying to use "Inches" to measure the weight of some ingredients to put into a cake..

Or trying to work out my fuel consumption using the weight of the fuel in "Grams" divided by the cost of the car..

Basically using the wrong units of measurement never really achieves very much.
"Watts" is consumed power.. Nothing to do with light output.

As it is a Lutron system you would need to establish what "system" is actually installed (Lutron have a wide range of products) LED lamps require "drivers*" If the system has transformers these will probably need to be replaced*

Also unlike halogen lamps, LED lamps are available in a range of "colour temperatures" (See picture below) LED lamps stay the same colour as they are dimmed, unlike halogen and incandescent lamps, the more these are dimmed the more to orange/red they change. It really depends on what your client wants

Below you can see an example of variations of colour temperature.

colourtemp.jpg

I suggest you call Lutron and ask them for your nearest Lutron trained company

*These can be so small they can fit inside mains LED lamps.

*I do not know for sure in respect of Lutron.

I would suspect your existing Lutron control is not LED compatible. I've not had a lot to do with Lutrin gear, but it's not as straight forward as just changing the lamps. As said above you really need to contact Lutron to find out.

Out of interest why are you trying to make everything brighter? Sounds like dimming is not what you need?

Erm.. you need to start looking at the "Lumens" and "Kelvin" ratings of existing lamps -vs- proposed new lamps to assess the difference in light output and light colour..

Trying to use "Watts" as a light output level is about as daft as me trying to use "Inches" to measure the weight of some ingredients to put into a cake..

Or trying to work out my fuel consumption using the weight of the fuel in "Grams" divided by the cost of the car..

Basically using the wrong units of measurement never really achieves very much.
"Watts" is consumed power.. Nothing to do with light output.
You did not read the thread and answered a question I have never asked, but thanks for your input.

As it is a Lutron system you would need to establish what "system" is actually installed (Lutron have a wide range of products) LED lamps require "drivers*" If the system has transformers these will probably need to be replaced*

Also unlike halogen lamps, LED lamps are available in a range of "colour temperatures" (See picture below) LED lamps stay the same colour as they are dimmed, unlike halogen and incandescent lamps, the more these are dimmed the more to orange/red they change. It really depends on what your client wants

Below you can see an example of variations of colour temperature.

View attachment 16880

I suggest you call Lutron and ask them for your nearest Lutron trained company

*These can be so small they can fit inside mains LED lamps.

*I do not know for sure in respect of Lutron.
We actually tried to fit a 12v LED with GU5.3 connector, 8W but the bulb has never went on. Quite strange, I did expect a 12v system to be compatible with any 12v bulbs, but it looks like I'm wrong. It seems that there are some frequencies or pulsations that do not work with LED but work perfectly with halogen.

As a result, we replaced a few halogen bulbs with halogen bulbs with higher LUM output and had some improvement.

I have sent some pics to Lutorn and await for advice.

Thanks for your replies, guys :)

You did not read the thread and answered a question I have never asked, but thanks for your input.
all the bulbs are Halogen 50W GU5.3 12v.

Say, going for 8W 12V LED bulbs which are rated as equivalent to 50W halogen.

Or, another option is to raise the wattage and replace all the circuits with 80W halogen bulbs,
Actually I did read the thread..

Hence my reply, as you were repeatedly mentioning watts & volts..
And made no reference to any of the existing or proposed Lumen or Kelvin ratings?
(nor 'beam angle' for that matter.. which all have impact on the apparent light output)

It can be difficult trying to help people who do not provide sufficient info, and imply you haven't read the question.

Have you tried their compatibility tool?
https://www.lutron.com/en-US/Pages/LEDCompatibilityTool/Compatibility.aspx

Thread locked to prevent antagonism

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts