What is it?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried to show what the sub was like , not very good drawing I'm afraid ,  a wire cage normally prevented access to the rear of switchgear , but even the switches on the front were open blades with Tufnol handles.   Only the bars you were connecting to were dead so there was no waving spanners about or armour wire . 

View attachment 6864
We use to work on rooms like that. We could re-direct distribution through the busbars using a long pole with a hook on it. The action had to be firm and smooth or the forks would arc and weld together, or blow to smithereens.

You could feel the electricity, it made all the hairs on your body stand up. I hated it, but I do feel comfortable around live installations as a result.

I tried to show what the sub was like , not very good drawing I'm afraid ,  a wire cage normally prevented access to the rear of switchgear , but even the switches on the front were open blades with Tufnol handles.   Only the bars you were connecting to were dead so there was no waving spanners about or armour wire . 

It was rubber gloves and brown trousers!                   Sorry if my stick man looks like Gollum !

View attachment 6864
Nice drawing...can actually see you clenching!

Yes  "Clenching "  was the norm behind there .

There was also walking in or out with hands in pockets .... and bolting up the lugged cable to the bars with a ratchet set in right hand and left hand in pocket so it didn't stray .

I think when they kicked off their induction furnaces they used to melt scrap steel , the lights would dim around Brierley Hill /  Stourbridge.

With a tilt towards today's news on steel works , this place has long gone and is now the big Merry Hill Shopping Centre

Hope that doesn't happen in South Wales .

Sorry to say I took this out

TRK-2-switch.jpg

There's more to come in a full article 

Ah yes, hand or hands in pocket

still do it now
When I was at college we had an instructor who had half of 2 fingers missing,we all wondered why but wouldn't ask,one day we were doing something,I can't remember what it was and he decided to tell us a story. Apparently in his younger days he'd been quite senior in the local electricity board and was instructing a team carrying out work in a substation,in those days it was the norm for everyone to carry a steel ruler in their pocket,he was explaining what was coming out and what was being moved and pointing with his ruler.Unfortunately as he pointed at some busbars he was a bit too close to something and it flashed over,he said he was very "lucky" to just lose most of 2 fingers,unfortunately it also caused nerve damage and left him with the shakes,it looked like he had bad Parkinsons,he shook so bad he couldn't use a screwdriver.He was an excellent teacher though and his little story stuck in my mind,I always kept my hands in my pockets in subs and switchrooms and even today I always keep the "spare" hand out of the way when working.

Bloody hell that's old. The pendulums use to stick and did not work properly. Most people did not like to tap off them. That's if I am on the right track. ;)

The weights are counterbalances for opening the top, it swings 180° so you can access the fuse carriers. The switch pivot point is higher up in the lid. Trip was indicated by (in typical Reyrolle style) a cast iron flag next to the closing handle.

There are a load of photos of the old steelworks on the internet [Round oak steelworks], one is of a load of electricians.... Which one were you!!!!!!

[P.S. If i knew the shopping centre was what was left of a steel works i would not have gone in there.....]

john..

I worked for a local contractors , mostly doing their Birmingham jobs but got dragged in mostly for Armoured bashing .   Didn't like being there TBH , everything you did you were covered in ****  ,  work was usually 1000 mtrs high , harnesses clipped on etc,  red hot steel flying all over the place , full of Yam-Yams saying .."  ooo am yow son ..yow aye from round 'ere am yer ?"