what is this called?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

opentoideas

Reaction score
I have been looking for this type of connection block ebay link

does this device have a name as I have been searching using everything I can think of and this is the only one I have found.

i have a couple of heater projects where I have to terminate 10 sets of 3ph heaters into a SSR and a generator to link to several distribution units.

this type of terminal would be the neatest solution but I cant find them so figure its called something I am not familiar with.

Hopefully someone on here can point me in the right direction.

That link you show is just a 3phase spreader box used on busbar chambers. I have always called them a spreader so have no idea if its known under another name.

Someone may be able to help later when they all get home from work.

That looks more like a small bussbar than a spreader box. A spreader box would normally be an empty enclosure which you gland a cable into to allow you to spread the cores before they enter a DB or bussbar chamber, like the below picture

.image.jpeg

without knowing the details of the job it's hard to say, but you'd normally expect some sort of fuse or circuit breaker to be used to protect each heater circuit etc. 

Davethesparky  we used to do a lot of those busbar spreaders in the cotton mills around Lancashire. The distribution was by low level busbars and when you needed a distribution board we just tapped off the busbar, through the spreader into the cu. Old I know, and dangerous as they were often hit by forklifts.

Canoeboy said:
How many out going cables and size ? How many Incomers and size ? Or if its easier the Amps
40A and 100A for the current projects but its more about finding a generic name or supplier as I just cant find the things.

I suspect the difficulty is that they wouldn't be used in fixed wiring as a distribution board would be more suitable and protection would be needed.

In the case of the heater project it would be internal to a machine and with the generator I want to split the outgoing tails to 4 seperate distribution boards.

I knew the thing I needed existed but cant find them so figure its a name I just dont know.

yes in both cases there is protection upstream. the problem is simply a mechanical one of taking one incoming feed and splitting it to multiple outgoing cables.

heck even a row of terminal posts would be suitable but again i cant find anything other than HiFi or auto electrical. 

A small bussbar would do it. 

Merlin gerin do a small unit which mounts on a din rail, or else din rail terminals with a linking bar.

Knowledge and experience are invaluable commodities.

I tried terminal blocks and distribution strip but distribution block was the one. Have found several others with that phrase so thank you again.

Latest posts