What would you do??

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NozSpark

Seaman stains™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I finished off a first fix of a new kitchen (converted outhouses), extension of cooker circuit into new kitchen and 1st fix lighting in new kitchen (Guardian cable)... also CU change (2-5-5)

Now out of the goodness of my heart I moved their tatty old cooker into the new kitchen and connected it up (circuit tested, but cooker not!)..

The room is yet to be plastered!

Now I talked to them today and whenever they put the cooker ring on (only 1 works!!) the RCD trips... obviously faulty...

Would you...

a) leave it where it is,,, it's got a fault!

OR

B) shift it over to a non-RCD way... temporarily... to allow them to cook

OR

c) put it on a non-RCD way and put the ring on full blast for 10 mins to dry the ring out?... then put back on RCD way

My thoughts are to leave it where the cooker is in pretty bad condition and obviously has an earth fault on one of the rings!

What do you think??

I did the same thing 2 weeks ago . Kitchen won't be fitted for 12 weeks so builder rigged up the sink unit temporary and I re- connected the old cooker to its existing 32 MCB , split load - non RCD .

Try drying it out , try another ring, perhaps they will have to buy a cheapo 2 plate cooker .

I was thinking of going for C myself...

only thought of that option as i was typing it out and it would have been a shame to delete it all.....

will see how it goes and how they are with me when I go back,, did 1st fix Wednesday, back Thurs PM to change CU and they start questioning it,, back boxes not level/loose screws not straight..

I knew that they were like that and was going to straighten/tighten them up after doing the CU... now they're all tight & straight! I did refuse to put screws in straight as they grip better on an angle!!

I was thinking of going for C myself...only thought of that option as i was typing it out and it would have been a shame to delete it all.....

will see how it goes and how they are with me when I go back,, did 1st fix Wednesday, back Thurs PM to change CU and they start questioning it,, back boxes not level/loose screws not straight..

I knew that they were like that and was going to straighten/tighten them up after doing the CU... now they're all tight & straight! I did refuse to put screws in straight as they grip better on an angle!!
Never heard of that one before Noz, is it worth the effort ?

Deke

If it is Thermalite, try 2 inch, size 8 screws straight into the block with a battery drill/driver. Don't bother with plugs, may not sound great but you get an excellent fixing.