Just as well I never chuck anything away

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phoenix

Reaction score
A few years ago I'd given next door neighbour some materials to add an extra socket off a radial cirucit in his hallway (Hes the type that likes to do things himself and being during Covid was trying to minimise contact). I think I ended up looking at his fuseboard at some point, and found out that the socket radial was doubled up with one of the lighting cirucits, and had 15A fusewire in the carriee. A 40A MCB was sitting at an angle in way 5 due to the tab on the back of the base, and few other thing I promised him, when covid had all settled down I'd have a look and see if we could straighten it out a bit.

He reminded me last week and I popped round there yesterday, one of the few wylex standard boards with RCD incommer so tested that because if that was knackered it would have been game over for the board, luckily absolutly fine dispite being older than I am. Both 5A carriers had 15A wire in them, one had the doubled up socket radial in it as well, old immerison cirucit feeding boiler had had the new cooker citcuit doubled up on it and a 32A MCB fitted.

Moved the 40A shower circuit to the first way which had the notch and uprated way, popped home for a few bits from box of wylex bits, unfortuntly I didnt have any 32A breakers other than the push button ones which I was trying to avoid using, but did manage to find a 6A and a 20A and a 6 way 'spark cover' for a metal clad board. Lights got doubled up with each other and on a 6A breaker, hallway socket and immersion went together on the 20A, moved the 32A MCB from the cooker to the sockets (partly because the screw holding the base in hadn't tighten properly, so with MCB in, it should never need to be pulled out) and left the utiltiy room submain and now the cooker on the 30A rewireables (untill I manage to save some 32A plug in MCBs from somewhere), Cut centre section out of the spark cover and fitted it which it really needed as the board was one of the older ones with the large gap around the devices, and also had some arc flash marks on the bottom of the slot, so at somepoint one of the 3036s had flashed to it as it blew.

Checked ring for continuity, fine on L open on N, established this between board and first socket on that side, traced it out and found there was a double socket in the kitchen where the neutral had never been in since the accessory was last changed and the live also dropped out as I pulled it forward, isolate, reterminate and retest all fine. Quickly label board and I'm happy that its much improved over what it was before.

I'm sure there are some out there who would suggest the board should to be changed, but with an RCD incommer, all circuits now on the correct size devices and most on 60898s probably of limited gain, plus I know there are a few spurs off spurs to bedroom sockets (very low loads in use) and probably a can of worms best not opened

Last edited:
I'm sure there are some out there who would suggest the board should to be changed, but with an RCD incommer, all circuits now on the correct size devices and most on 60898s probably of limited gain, plus I know there are a few spurs off spurs to bedroom sockets (very low loads in use) and probably a can of worms best not opened
I did the same a few years ago, though in this case it was two wylex boards side by side each with an RCD incommer. I tested and upgraded to MCB's.

In my case apart from being old, I saw it as no different from a new dual RCD board. And mine were metal boards.